I went walking on Shepherd's Hill

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by kyteflyer, Feb 4, 2012.

1. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Shepherd's Hill is the site of an abandoned radar station from WWII, it was moved from Shepherd's Hill in 1942 I think, but I'm not sure where it ended up.

Since then, the buildings have fallen into disrepair, but at least the iron gates used to be locked with lock and chain. Thats changed. When I went up today, I found that gates had been opened and the interiors "decorated". As I said on flickr, I found decay, decrepitude and disrespect.

I'll post B&W here but the colour versions are on flickr in the set entitled Shepherds Hill. I may add more to that, later.

Locked gate, broken into by kyte50, on Flickr

Locked gate, broken into by kyte50, on Flickr

Graffiti: Not good by kyte50, on Flickr

Graffiti: BAD graffiti by kyte50, on Flickr

More bad graffiti by kyte50, on Flickr

External wall: Window by kyte50, on Flickr

External wall by kyte50, on Flickr

Ricoh GRD III

• Like Like x 4
  2. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    And, as I headed back to the car, this view of Newcastle, from the Hill, looking across King Edward Park.

K-5, fake pano.
    6815668687_537fbb35e6_b.
    Newcastle by kyte50, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    splendid lighting and color, scary sm0g

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, Lili, I appreciate it.

5. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Great grunge followed by gorgeous color.. sounds like you had a good day exploring!

6. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Thanks, Kristen, I did. I may go up again soonish, there was a lot that remained unphotographed and which would be better shot in the early morning.

7. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    You should. And thank you for posting images Sue. All I see when I sign on is more cameras.. I want to see more photos, like what they can do!

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    going to be an awful long time before I can get another camera so its images or nothing but comment from this little black duck.

9. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Um you aren't lacking so you should be good.. for a while ;) I'm deciding if I need to keep the G12 now that I am home. Kinda just needed it for vacation. Of course then I have only film to share here..

• Like Like x 1
  10. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    An interesting series Sue, well captured with your GRDiii.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I wonder if archaeologists of the future will dig this up and find the grafitti fascinating and/or teach them about our culture.

Will they assume that that is how we all communicated?

Will the professors and academics of the future try to decipher these symbols on the wall?

Will they give it the same level of reverence and academic weight that we give the Egyptian hieroglyphs or the Mayan calendars?

Will they predict the end of the world in these symbols and plan a mass planetary evacuation to the (then well-established) Mars colony?