Fuji I would like to hear from photographers who purchased the X100 and then got rid of it

I met a Leica X1 in person the other day (and an X2 -- both in a Montreal camera shop). I was STUNNED by how small and beautiful they are in person! But, alas, I can't justify that much money for 28mm eq. But if you shoot that FL, they are certainly gorgeous cameras!

I met a Leica X1 in person the other day (and an X2 -- both in a Montreal camera shop). I was STUNNED by how small and beautiful they are in person! But, alas, I can't justify that much money for 28mm eq. But if you shoot that FL, they are certainly gorgeous cameras!
I thought they were the same 35mm equivalent as the X100???

-Ray

Had an X100 (twice)...

Hi. I had an X100 - twice over. Got it when it first came out, but my photography skills just couldnt take advantage of the camera at the time and I found it *too* finicky for me, so I sold it off.

Two years, and a lot of learning and other photo passed, and I came back to X100. By now, the firmware had been updated, etc. so I picked up a Used X100. I loved the camera (again). The colors and IQ were superb. Photos appeared somewhat three-dimensional. Unreal.

I sold it again simply because I wanted greater range (focal length) with an m/43 camera than just 35mm . If I had unlimited funds, I definitely would keep this camera. In fact, I've been thinking of acquiring another one (used, lower price again) because it is just so handy and one focal length is a real benefit at times.

When you get right down to it when it comes to cameras like the X100 there is very little choice of cameras that are comparably equipped offering a fixed 35mm equivalent field of view on a APS-C sensor. Are there any other choices right now other than the Leica X2 ($2,000 USD)? Myself I'd buy a X100 over the Leica X2 any day, or I'd spend just $800 more and purchase the full frame real 35mm on 135 format Sony RX1. There's the Sigma cameras I suppose but given how often I used the higher ISO sensitivity of the X100 (really quite good) the Sigma compacts simply wouldn't be considered.

Despite everything I've said on the subject, chances are if I had picked up a newer X100 without the mechanical difficulties, with the newer firmware now out, I would be pretty happy and would not be contemplating purchasing a Sony RX1. Recent price decreases on X100's make them that much more interesting too. Quirky still, but interesting.

On the other hand, I could buy a X100 today but instead still have a pre-order in for the RX1. Not sure what that says about the X100 camera but I know it says something (foolish) about me.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my X100. There's something about its fixed lens limitation that gets my creative juices flowing. It forces me into situations I would not find myself in using any other camera. Way out of my comfort zone. It's taught me a bunch of stuff.

Dare I say ... the X100 might be my favorite camera of all time! Quirky but loveable. Compact and sexy. Feels great in the hand and yet sturdy. And takes great pics! Like all other Fuji's, it just needs Fuji to ripoff Oly or Pany's CDAF system!

I suppose you don't want to hear from me since I could not imagine getting rid of the X100. It coexists nicely with my XPro1 and 35 mm and 60 mm lenses.

I imagine my XE1 will coexist equally with both of them, although I am suspecting that the XPro1 may get a bit less use due to the size and X100 "likeness" I expect from the XE1. In fact I have gone on record as thinking that the XE1 is the X200.

Perry

Back