im safe

Djarum

All-Pro
Name
Jason
Dear sc family

As some o f u know I live in huntsville al. My apartment comunity and my self were less than a mile from serious tornado and wind damage. A block from my home there ar rows of trees uprooted or twisted off. Less than 8 miles away an ef 4 devastaded resisential communities. North alabama as a whole has been devastated. We are still without power as I text this.

My family and friends are safe. For the last 2 days I have offered up my gas grill 2 cook food for my apartment neighbors. The community hooked a generator up so we could get cell phomes charged. This is my first contact 2 the internet world.

I ask that if anyone can donate whatever they can to north and central alabama. I also ask if someone can post this to mu-43.com

When power does return I will post back again.

Jason

Jason, thank goodness you and your family are safe. I was so worried and afraid when we didn't hear from you...and thank you so much for making the effort to respond to my PM and to post what you have. I'll bring this thread over to Mu-43 for you shortly. Here is a link to the Alabama Red Cross by counties: Alabama Red Cross

Jason, your community is fortunate to have you. Keeping the faith for you all in Alabama.

Here is another link thanks to Amin who posted it over on Mu43: How You Can Help the Tornado Victims in the South - TIME NewsFeed

Good to hear from you Jason. In times like this, you stood up and provided a pillar of strength. Keep up the good work.
You and yours are in our thoughts.
Please keep us posted on your situation.
Don

Thank you all for your prayers and thoughts. Power has retuned 2 some parts and normal day 2 day activities are starting for some, others have had homes destroyed and family and friends lost. It may take months or years for these folks to pick up the pieces. I ask for those that can to help where they can.

Thank you for posting links to help with aid.

I'm glad everything is coming together and that you and your family are safe Jason. I can't imagine how difficult and frightening the whole thing must have been.

Hang in there,

-Ray

Glad you're safe. I went to Huntsville on vacation last Christmas break. Hope as many people as possible are safe after the tragedy.

All,

We finally have power. Its been alot of work the last 6 or 7 hours cleaning fridges, freezers, throwing away garbage and doing laundry. I finally cut on the computer.

A good reference for all the tornados hitting our area is here:

List of tornadoes in the April 25.

On April 27, 2 tornadoes were very close to my home. The first one close to my area, was an earlier tornado was an EF4-EF5 that started in Hackleburg, AL. It eventually ended up crossing several counties, destroying homes and lives and hit Harvest, AL. Harvest proper is about 5 miles from my home. This tornado took out TVA power from Browns Ferry Nuclear power going into Madison and several surrounding counties. It also took out a vital Doppler radar near athens, AL. More information on this specific tornado can be found here:

Franklin/Lawrence/Limestone/Madison Co. Tornado Update - WAFF Weather

The second tornado which is mentioned in the first link as "Tornado on the ground at U.S. Highway 72 and Slaughter Road" is reported at 2206 UTC time, which is 5:06pm CDT. I was in my apartment at this time . The power had not gone out yet. At about 5pm the sirens went off and I continued to listen to the television. I walked outside and was seeing updraft to the north and west of me. (I know what this is because I watch storm chasers with my girlfriend, lol). This updraft was rather freaky because the system was moving NE, but the wind on the ground and low clouds were moving quickly to the west. As soon as I ran back into my apartment the wind picked up to 65-70mph with rain going horizontal. The trees outside were bendinging pretty bad. This only lasted for a few minutes. This tornado missed my apartment by less than a half mile.

So far, this tornado has not been given a classification. Looking at the debris, it will probably be listed as an EF-0. Trees were uprooted, twisted, and snapped. Shingles were off roofs. The only serious damage was a few homes with trees which had fallen into the homes.

I have finally seen some of the pictures from the air and the ground from the Harvest area. I am familiar with the area and these were well built nice homes that were demolished. Tuscaloosa got hit pretty hard, Cardova which is just north of my girlfriends parents got hit hard, Cullman and Arab just south of Huntsville also got hit hard. Lots of places are wiped off the map.

I hope to have pictures up by tommorow of some of the damage we saw and some pictures of trying to bring our own small apartment community together.

Back