I'm thinking of starting GAS-aholics anonymous

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Country Parson, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Anyone want to join? :daz:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    :alcoholic:I don't have a problem ...

• Like Like x 2
  3. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    The first thing you must do is rid yourself of your excess gear.

I have space at my house.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    That's a good one, Amanius. :laugh1:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    I have a feeling lots of people will be joining this group following the availability of a certain camera :smile:

• Like Like x 3
  6. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    What I love about having too much gear- giving something away picked up for a few bucks to someone that can really appreciate it. I'll be dropping off a boxed Kodak Bantam to a woman that volunteers at a local historic site that I go to quite often. Hers was stolen decades ago, and she misses it. I think mine, picked up at an old camera shop over 20 years ago, has been in the original box since 1950.

• Like Like x 2
  7. sparth

sparth SC Regular

Oct 28, 2011
    seattle WA
    I thought that another way was to go straight to what i would personally consider the equipment that would brake that GAS syndrome, the leica m9 in my case. Like ... "what else would i want to shoot with after the m9"? Unfortunately, it's not the case hehe.

... I bough two other camera since the m9 last september! The ricoh grd4 and the fujix10. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  8. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I know that feeling all too well ... but I don't have a problem.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Landshark

Landshark PhotoDog S.C. Charter Member

Jul 15, 2010
    SoCal
    Bob
    no camera will ever be the one and only

• Like Like x 3
  10. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I'll join. When I left work in November 2010 I had a few cameras. 2 DSLRs (K-r and K200D) and a bunch of compacts. Now I have more cameras, one DSLR and a bunch of compacts (different ones). I've bought several thousand $$$ worth in the last 12 months. I keep thinking that I ought to sell some, being on a very limited income now, but I just haven't been able to bring myself to do it. Instead, I'm working out how long its going to take me to save for: X-S1, X-10, New iPad, Next generation iPhone, more lenses... yada yada.

Where do I sign up?

• Like Like x 3
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Has anyone else ever tried the SC drinking game? Basically you just take a shot every time you see the term "GAS" written. I'm sorry if I'm not making much sense right now as I am completely drunk...

• Like Like x 5
  12. Armanius

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    I'm going to turn Nic into a perpetual drunk: GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS, GAS ...

• Like Like x 2
  13. krugorg

krugorg SC All-Pro

Sep 26, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Kyle Krug
    rofl

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I don't deny having a problem, I just don't like to talk about it very much :redface:

• Like Like x 3
  15. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    I love my problem and know I have one, am I on the road to recovery? Hell no! lol

• Like Like x 3
  16. retow

retow SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Bying an M9 and upgrading the camera body approximately every 4 years is less expensive then buying, trying and selling multiple mid market models and makes in the same time period. Have you thought about it, or even done the math? Note, I used the expression "expensive" and not "costly". Finance guys and accountants will understand the difference. Over the last 2 months I sold many of my cameras and am down to M9, Ricoh GXR m-mount, Sigma D2x and DP1. My budget will be more on photography trips than on gear going forward and focus on using the gear I have to the max. I burned way to much money in the last 2-3 years with jumping on the latest and newest. The only camera I might be interested in later this year is the announced Olympus Pro.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    I agree with your thinking, retow. I am moving in that direction myself. But I hope the Fuji XPro will be my "M9" equivalent (or should I say substitute).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Penny

Penny SC Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    Outside Liverpool Uk
    I've always chopped and changed cameras over the years correction many years, but never so much as since joining Serious Compacts....
    Its driving me mad and to drink, I do try to sell as I buy have just sold the NEX5 16mm because I was sick of hitting the menu button, but guess what I just bought a Oly E-PM1 (mini).

• Like Like x 2
  19. Country Parson

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Penny, that sounds so familiar. :dash2:

20. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Sadly, that's the case with me as well. At least on Pentaxforums I was only having periodic LBA ... Now I want it ALL!!!
    :alcoholic: :blush: :daz:

• Like Like x 1