1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Image stabilisation and tripods.

Discussion in 'Open Gear Talk' started by bilzmale, Oct 28, 2015.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Some years back when IS in cameras was a somewhat newer concept I seem to remember a lot of discussion that generally concluded that in camera stabilisation should be switched off when using a tripod.

What is the current state of play - are newer systems more compatible with a tripod mounted camera?

2. CM_SK

CM_SK SC Regular

Apr 23, 2013
    Saskatoon, SK, Canada
    My only real stabilized camera is my EM-5; I have always turned off IBIS on the tripod if only for better battery life. I've been reading a bit about the experiences of the early adopters of the new Sony stabilized A series (eg. A7 ii and Rii - don't have one yet but GAS could go there....); users there also seem to be still turning off stabilization, though some that forgot to do so don't see clear evidence of ruined images. The worry, and it seems a bit theoretical, is that the inherent movement / buzzing that IBIS systems have sets up high frequency resonances in the camera/mount/tripod that can't in turn be stabilized out.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I think the greater risk is, having turned off image stabilisation to use a tripod, you then forget to turn it back on again afterwards and end up with blurry hand held shots until you figure out why.

That's what happened to me anyway.

-R

• Agree Agree x 1