Apple Images by iPhone 6s-plus using clip-on wide-angle lenses.

D

dalethorn

I have an inbox full of unprocessed images, but although this one is very atypical, it's an interesting challenge for me. The OlloClip wide-angle lens has quite a bit of distortion, but getting more used to it, I'm making better use of its features - in this case some vignetting. The fortunate thing today, with this lighted picture/poster frame outside of the Louis Vuitton store, is the outdoor clouds covered the sun and nearly all of the usual reflections in the glass disappeared. The Cortex camera app did its magic, and although it merges many frames into a 27 mp image, it produced this sharp image shooting handheld!

iPhone 6s-plus, Cortex camera app, OlloClip wide-angle lens.
Louis_Vuitton10_s.jpg

Taken while driving, the best of a burst of 4 images...

iPhone 6s-plus, OlloClip Wide-Angle lens.
Charleston_Bridge37_s.jpg

These images were taken last weekend with the iPhone 6s-plus and OlloClip wide-angle lens, and using the Cortex camera app. The first was purely handheld, and Cortex blended the 20-25 frames it takes very well. The second, in the art shop, was braced against the door, so it should have been a little better. The third image, while not a great photo by any stretch, is still an amazing catch in that the car was moving about 20 mph through the intersection, and while I panned as best I could, Cortex did amazingly well in capturing the car and not smearing the still objects and people any worse than you see here.

I'm learning a lot about wide-angle shooting in case I get the new Nikon "18-50" compact camera with the one inch sensor, although the OlloClip lens is certainly more distorted than the Nikon lens will be. But since the Leica X-U is arriving tomorrow, the iPhone project will be on hold for awhile.

Charleston_Downtown55_s.jpg

Charleston_Downtown56_s.jpg

Charleston_Downtown57_s.jpg

Here's a case where the iPhone Cortex camera app (which combines multiple frames into one image automatically) might not be ideal, or fail outright. Since the app shoots multiple images and combines them automatically, it has an option to "remove motion blur", which works well in some street scenes shooting handheld or with a monopod. Using a tripod or fixed support, Remove Motion Blur can be left off, but things like the wind blowing leaves can be a problem, even when the blur option is set on. I suspect that either way (I don't remember what I set for this shoot), the leaves motion also caused the edges to not be sharp, and that's not typical for the Zeiss lens' 17 mm field of view. Anyway, I'm happy with the end result here.

iPhone 6s-plus, Zeiss ExoLens, Cortex Camera App, daylight exposure.
Charleston_Church_Circular01_s.jpg

Back