Images from the estuary foreshore

grebeman

Old Codgers Group
I live very close to a complex of tidal creeks that comprise the Kingsbridge Estuary, although strictly it's probably not a true estuary since it doesn't have a major river discharging into it.
It is thus a ria, a valley drowned by the sea. The main arm is over 4 miles long with several side creeks, one of which (Frogmore Creek) is within easy walking distance of my cottage.

Bowcombe_Creek_1070171.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

This is the upper part of Bowcombe Creek, typical of the upper reaches of all the creeks where mud predominates and trees fall into the estuary from the banks making many snags

ebb_tide_1070528-1.jpg

Nearer the sea and the upper foreshore becomes rather more rocky with mud occurring at lower levels

Most small finds are made where there is some shingle on the foreshore

beech_leaf_1070548.jpg

beech leaf on shingle

barnacles_on_limpet_1070550.jpg

barnacles on limpet

dead_crab_1060766.jpg

dead shore crab

broken_mussel_1070547.jpg

broken mussel

peeler_crab_1060695.jpg

discarded home, a crab has discarded it's old shell in order to grow in size, it's new shell will be soft for two or three days and the crab will hide away since it will be very
vulnerable to being eaten, known as a peeler crab during this time

oak_leaf_1070549.jpg

oak leaf on foreshore

orange_ponytail_1070536.jpg

Man leaves his influence in many places, here rather artistically in the shape of an orange ponytail

All part of my current world, no teeming city streets for me.

Barrie

Another vote for the last one. There is an art to making the mundane, um, dane...? I love the texture - that is what does it for me. I find pleasure in the small things - it is not only the devil that is in the detail... ;)

ah well, since we're sharing: my favorite is the first :) it triggers my imagination, particularly the gnarled branges of the fallen tree. I like the primeval look of it all!

Thanks everyone for taking both the time and trouble to look and comment, I appreciate it. I started off in photography some 40 years ago with what was then an old folding roll film camera mainly doing black and white landscape, so Bart, number one is probably true to my first love and indeed I'm working on a b/w version of it now. Having said that Bill I am beginning to explore an element of what I might term the world within, in other words those small details in the overall picture, so I'm pleased to think that I have made something "dane" out of that simple piece of nylon rope. :), I must set my eyes to seek out more of such subjects.

Barrie

I first saw LEs up similar creeks off the Helford, back in the early '90s. The guy who'd got me interested in birding was quite crushed by this, as he'd never seen one and they were a bit of a smart tick back then ...

Barrie

That's better - brings life to the place - BE Gulls are becoming one of my favourites, not like the nasty HG, BBG and LBBG
I'm not really a fan of mallards!!
Hoping to get out shooting more from now on now that I have got over a few "medical" problems
Not sure what is around and about but we are now getting a few frosty mornings so it's out with the sun flower seeds etc., quite a few Jays in the garden, early morning which is usual as they usually stick to the woods around us.

There are quite a few LE's out here, but at the Coast.

The Cattle Egrets usually appear in the field below our house in January ...... not surprisingly the field is home to quite a few cows and get very muddy

Thanks again the the bird images!!!

Back