Sony (Img Heavy) Lovin' my new NEX 5n + CV40

wt21

Hall of Famer
I don't know that the NEX system is my final resting spot, but the 5n + CV40 is exactly what I want -- contrasty, slightly over saturated, a little dreamy at the edges but sharp in the center.

I applied some level adjustments in LR4 (basically move the tone curve from linear to S shaped). Often shot with an ND8. Love the bokeh on this lens, too!

20121013-DSC01072-L.jpg

20121013-DSC01139-XL.jpg
20121014-DSC01154-XL.jpg

20121014-DSC01147-L.jpg

20121014-DSC01156-L.jpg

20121014-DSC01231-XL.jpg
20121014-DSC01267-XL.jpg

20121017-DSC01299-L.jpg

20121017-DSC01307-L.jpg

20121020-DSC01336-L.jpg

Love that shot of the trees with birds in the background. Now I have another lens to check out (although I've always wanted to try the CVs - they have a look to them I like. I need to take a deep breath.)

I assume you used the focus peaking? Is it just me, or do you sometimes find that the focus was still missed even though it showed in the LCD that it should have been focused?

Sounds like you are having the same issues as I am.

I find focus peaking gets me a 70-80% hit rate in doors (much less outside), so I end up zooming in anyway. I'm not sold on the focus peaking.

When I first tried NEX + legacy lenses about 2 years ago, I was using OM, Takumar and a CV35/1.4 on a NEX 3. They all lacked contrast, ghosted/bloomed (or whatever) when wide open and so it wasn't worth the effort. I don't know if it's the CV40, or the 5n that changed the game, or both, but I love this combo. It's just a hair soft at 1.4, sharpens up at 1.8 and by 2.0 it's wonderful. I use an ND8 filter and shoot wide open, or stop down to 2.0 when I need "sharpness" -- just such an easy combo to love. I'd highly recommend one if you are trying NEX.

I also have a CV75/2.5. I've got it listed for sale on mu-43 and fredmiranda, but I'm on the fence on it. It also works well with the 5n, but 2.5 is a little slow for what I'm looking for, and the 75, more than the 40, really needs to stop down a 1/2 stop to get out of it's softness. I still might just keep it, though. I'm shopping now for a CV21 f4 skopar. I figure a full frame mirrorless isn't too far away, so I could just keep these lenses for good!

I'm not a very good photographer. Kind of lacking that "eye" that good ones have. But all you need is a good camera, with a contrasty lens, cute and/or seasonal subjects, use the rule of thirds, and shoot in the golden hours, and you can pretty much fake it! (at least to a certain level) ha ha ;)

I'm not a very good photographer. Kind of lacking that "eye" that good ones have. But all you need is a good camera, with a contrasty lens, cute and/or seasonal subjects, use the rule of thirds, and shoot in the golden hours, and you can pretty much fake it! (at least to a certain level) ha ha ;)

Shhhh... don't blurt it out! That's my secret!

Very nice images there, WT! I especially love the tree and birds shot... beautiful light and color captured.

I haven't tried the focus peaking on my NEX-7 (no legacy glass :(), but I failed miserably with it on my K-01. It sounds like the NEX version is much better...I was like 10% success rate outdoors on the Pentax.

I have about 70-80% success INSIDE. Outside in sunshine, it's pretty hard to use, IMO. I'm considering the add-on EVF, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Love that shot of the trees with birds in the background. Now I have another lens to check out (although I've always wanted to try the CVs - they have a look to them I like. I need to take a deep breath.)

I assume you used the focus peaking? Is it just me, or do you sometimes find that the focus was still missed even though it showed in the LCD that it should have been focused?

Looking at the pictures again, I think what I like about the 5n + CV40 combo is it's kind of film feeling. Would be interested if others think the same. Looking at the last shot, the gradations and color transitions are pretty smooth. My old m43 gear would have blown out those highlights a bit more. I think also the 3rd one (with my family walking down the street) also feels like a film shot, with a real punchy film. All these shots, btw, were done in jpgs. Another thing I like about this combo. I'm pretty comfortable shooting jpg instead of RAW because I'm getting more DR and the colors I want, out of camera.

I read the new 5r has "different rendering" (haven't seen the proof yet -- just a DPR thread I caught). That would be a shame. I don't think I'd upgrade to the new sensor if that's the case.

All these shots, btw, were done in jpgs. Another thing I like about this combo. I'm pretty comfortable shooting jpg instead of RAW because I'm getting more DR and the colors I want, out of camera.

I was going to ask you about this... what color preset are you using then?

I have been using the Adobe presets from Maurizio Piraccini:
Maurizio Piraccini Photography
I like the "Leica" preset quite a bit for some things... otherwise, just going neutral and landscape, ocassionally.

Nice set of photos! I love the colors, particularly on the last three photos. A lot of depth! Looks like you found your self a great combo there. Well done.

I was going to ask you about this... what color preset are you using then?

I have been using the Adobe presets from Maurizio Piraccini:
Maurizio Piraccini Photography
I like the "Leica" preset quite a bit for some things... otherwise, just going neutral and landscape, ocassionally.

Had to look it up in LR:

Shot jpg OOC, imported in LR4, and I have a custom preset applied upon import. I forgot I had done that. I'll have to keep that going.

Problem with the jpg and applying a preset on import, is it doesn't seem to show the adjustments in the develop panel. Everything's zeroed out, so I can't remember what the presets were. The preset information says "30, 10, -10, -30" but I can't remember which sliders that refers to...

I'll have to take a look at that link. I'm just getting into presets on import (so much so, I forgot I am doing it).

Found it. It's a tone curve adjustment. Highlights +30, Lights +10, Darks -10, Shadows -30. Basically making the tone curve more "S" than linear.

I have about 70-80% success INSIDE. Outside in sunshine, it's pretty hard to use, IMO. I'm considering the add-on EVF, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I'm sure I've read a few posts saying the peaking works better with the LCD screen. I use the focus peaking as a kind of fast approximate and then zoom in to nail it, time permitting. If I'm in a hurry and my lens is not wide open then I reduce the peaking strength in the hope that a narrower band of colour will nail the focus.

I've gotten so used to shooting with the LCD that I've gone off viewfinders! I bought a Pentax Kx recently and was looking forward to using an optical viewfinder but now find them inhibiting. I now kind of think a viewfinder is like sitting in a car with heavily tinted side windows, whereas the LCD is like being on a motorcycle with no helmet on. The only time I miss them is when I have to hold the camera up high and/or when trying to focus a telephoto lens, particularly if it's more than 135mm.

Back