Important reading for anyone concerned about the safety of their camera

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
Just found this last night. Roger Cicala of Lens Rentals does a teardown of a Sony A7S II that had been exposed to salt water. Be sure to read it in detail, because there are some surprising places (at least to me) where the salt water got in. Also, there are some interesting revelations about service departments.

Here it is: About Getting Your Camera Wet… Teardown of a Salty Sony A7sII

It makes me wonder about the weather resistance of my OMD EM5 I and II (or any camera that claims splash or dust resistance, except for a "rugged" camera).

I found it fascinating.

Also, I would love to hear from anyone who routinely gets their gear into environmentally challenging situations and what they do to protect it.

Cheers, Jock

Both my DSLRs are weather resistant, but not waterproof. I'd never expose them to wet conditions deliberately, I think thats just tempting fate. I had the K5 and one of the WR lenses out in the rain just once and before I put it away I thoroughly dried what I could. Cant help feeling the the seals must deteriorate over time.

When I bought my TG-870 my mind was made up that it was a "disposable" camera that I'd bee happy if I got a solid year of service out of it... It had a fairly rough life for the first five months but nothing outside it's stated specs, since it died I've been a bit more protective but not that much. The most important thing is to rinse in fresh or de-min water, let it dry properly and re-grease the o-rings with the correct silicone grease...

Would I treat my E-M1 the same, hell no... Although there was this one time it got sprayed by a slightly peeved octopus on a reefy sand flat at low tide.

Back