1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

In depth review of the LF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic/Leica Forum' started by Olivier Duong, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong SC Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 13
  2. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Is that a Samsung "smart watch" that I see in one of the shots? :biggrin:

3. Fiddler

Fiddler SC Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Colin
    Great review - very thorough and informative.

4. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Some real badassery there! Thx for sharing.

5. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong SC Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Nah. It's a Motoactv, rooted to run android appz :)

6. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I must avert my eyes having just fallen another's siren song.

Seriously, Olivier - many thanks. I'd been eyeing this camera or the Leica version (for the LR5) for a while, and will be heading over to your review shortly!

7. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Thanks Olivier

Damn good review

8. Droogie

Droogie New to SC

Sep 21, 2013
    Great review, now to make up my mind . . the LF1 or the LX7.

9. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I've read the manual, read the review here, and experimented with my LF1, but still don't know: Can I do manual focus with the magnified image on the LCD, and still have the camera use my default ISO 80 setting? The camera wants to set that itself for some reason.

10. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong SC Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    Dale-> Well yeah, set your camera at ISO80, Manual Focus then twist the lens (or the circle D-pad on the back) and immediately the screen will be magnified.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Olivier Duong

Olivier Duong SC Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    I think they are in two different categories, the LX7 has quite the bulge for a pocket camera, the LF1 just slips in.

12. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

Thanks - for some reason it's behaving better after I set the default for the lens ring and use that to focus. Good tip.

13. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

It's really a tough choice. I have both, so my choice of which to take along with the big fixed-lens camera when I go out isn't easy either. The LF1 has the long zoom, but the LX7 has the better lens at the short distances, and of course is twice the size and weight.

14. Droogie

Droogie New to SC

Sep 21, 2013
    Is the weight difference that huge? I can see visually the size difference. I would use either of these as my primary vacation camera (day trips I use my G3), but walking around say Austin or New York I could grow to love either of these. Plus the prices are so similar if you add in the cost of the viewfinder for the LX7. Tough choice indeed. That 1.4 lens is calling to me though.

15. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

The weight difference is about double, but since these are small cameras, it may or may not be important. In a shirt pocket (with protective wrap of course) you would notice a huge difference. In small handbags or shoulder bags it could make a difference, but the larger bags wouldn't likely notice. When I bought my Panasonic LX3 and a couple years later the LX7, I saw that Leica (who also OEM these cameras from Panasonic) made a small leather case with shoulder strap for these cameras, and I bought both cases for my Panasonic cameras. The cases are very pricy, but the cameras carry hands-free that way, and the cases are so well designed that you can carry them even to dress-up events, where most camera cases would be a faux pas.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    What an awesome review Olivier! Thank you!

17. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Great review!! Thanks for posting.

I'll be taking mine on holiday to Florida in a few days so hoping it will perform well in the nice Florida light. Expect loads of images when I get back!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    So Dale, now that you've had the LF1 for another month or so, what do you think? Do you pick up the LF1 or LX7 more often?

19. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

I've gotten a good idea of the limitations of the small cameras and the big Leica M that I have, so mostly during the work week I'll carry both small cameras on short trips, then on the weekend, I'll have the large camera and one of the small ones. I'm more optimistic about the LF1 now, even though it isn't the best choice for low light shooting. So LF1 for daytime, Leica M for black & white, and if I go somewhere at night I'll generally take both small cameras and leave the M.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Took a few photos with the LF1. Was pleasantly surprised with its IQ at 1600 and 3200, if properly exposed.