Fuji In the coffee shop today

thekeddi

Top Veteran
I took the X100 out for the first time today, went to the coffee shop and got these photos, the girl at the counter is my niece. I think it's good, but would like some CC to get better stuff from this camera???

No PP done, it's the JPEG straight out of the camera.

6055532088_dfe33b00c9.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

6054585431_be6211b87b.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Attachments

• 6055532088_dfe33b00c9.jpg
    6055532088_dfe33b00c9.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 6054585431_be6211b87b.jpg
    6054585431_be6211b87b.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 34
I feel drawn to comment,...so please forgive me in what I'm going to say which is without any malice and with absolutely no desire to upset you.......

There's nothing 'wrong' with the pix,...they are sharp and well exposed. The camera obviously works and you can hold it still and level while the shutter is open.

Personally I have severe doubts about the x100 'experiment' and can see a lot of very undersirable by-products of it's emergence,...but it would perhaps be churlish of me to go in that direction........Suffice to say that the x100 is basically an inferior Leica with one lens which apes a typical Leica street rig as used by the main protagonists of the great era of Leica photography such as 'Picture Post' photogs, Thurston Hopkins and Bert Hardy and the Frenchman Henri Cartier Bresson,..also the American 'Life' cameraman Alfred Eisentatdt etc etc.

All of these men had a great 'eye' for a picture and used the Leica with one lens as an extra eye which could instantly record the images that they saw and recognises as being interestig to other people when reproduced on the pages of their magazines

To get back to your pix,... what, if anything is interesting in them? Do they highlight something about the cafe or the people in it? Is the 'still-life' of the coffee significant in some way that the viewer should recognise? Are these pix novel or different to those of other x100 users? Do these pix 'grab' ones attention and make one look at them?........

Cartier Bresson said that there is nothing worse than " a sharp picture of a blurred subject"....

So, you could start by 'googling' for the work of the above photographers to get some idea of whats possible with a 'simple' camera rig,... Then, sit down and think what YOU find interesting a work out how to show that to the viewer.

Next, read up on composition and memorise the simple rules that will lift your pix into 'photographs' namely the 'rule of thirds' etc. Then go back to the 'greats' and see how they instinctively did this in an instant.

Lastly, in your pix the only thing that one wants to know more about is your niece who can just about be seen looking concerned at you from the counter,...how about some workplace portraits of her while you get your 'eye' in tune?

When I was a young lad just finding my way with photography, I spent much time at the Phila Museum of Art. The curator of prints and pictures back then was a man named Ding McNulty. He took me under his wing. He taught me how to see and appreciate the art of photography. A wonderful byproduct of all this was, that I met and spent time with many of the masters of photography and other art forms.
I would show my images to these shooters and the thing that most impressed me about these little meetings was, never, not once was a negative comment ever mentioned. This is not to say that suggestions weren't made but it was always in a supportive way.

thekeddi, I'm glad you got the X100. Keep using it and you'll find you way. Your off to a good start...
Don

Kerri, the out of the camera black and white jpegs look pretty good to me, I've haven't tried them. I guess it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks.;) I am impressed!

I think if we didn't know that the young woman behind the bar was your niece that we might have drawn different conclusions about what's going on. Sometimes, it's better not to tell the viewer what's going on, as that way they can draw from their own experiences and react. My first reaction upon seeing your first picture was that something this young woman, the barmaid, had seen was making her afraid or, at least, very wary...that perhaps a patron had just walked in who had caused trouble in the past...meanwhile the bartender is engaged in his work, the spoons are all in their shiny places and the patron in the left foreground is engrossed in his reading, stirring his coffee or tea...but something is about to happen. I like it, Kerri.:drinks:

Your second is a fine example of what the Fuji can do with shallow depth of field and a delicious looking cappuccino!:D

For those of us who know this camera and have had the pleasure of using it and seeing what it can do both with our own eyes, and have seen the work of many photographers, we know it is a fantastic tool. Kerri, you're just at the beginning of your travels and I think you're going to have a great time with this unobtrusive camera. I may just have to try those black and white jpegs!

FWIW, I like 'em. The first more than the second, but the second one is good for what it is as well. Have fun with the X100. Its a camera, not an experiment! :cool:

BTW, I saw ANOTHER X100 in the wilds for the first time when I was in Seattle a week and a half or so ago. I was sitting in a restaurant at Pike Place Market and pulled the X100 out to take a shot of my wife. I looked up and there was a guy a few tables behind here waving to get my attention, and holding up an X100. He was an Aussie fellow who'd only had his for five days and was having quite a bit of fun with it...

-Ray

Here's my take

Hi Kerri,
There's no doubt that the x100 is a shooter. I feel that way pretty much about any camera Im using these days. It's been said the best camera you have is the one with you. Having said that, everyone these days seems not satisfied with what they have, (Im speaking generally here), and are always looking for that ultimate shooter. I appreciate Bugleone's remarks however critical it may sound, after all you asked for it :)

For me in my old age (yes, I could be your father), and in your quest to be the ultimate shooter, just remember that your are the master of your craft. It really matters little what I think, or what BB says or what Billn laughs at. What matters is that your photos are satisfying to you. I don't believe in rules and I don't believe in reading books or looking at photos to better myself. Just go out and shoot. Im not saying not to do these things, there is a time and place for all things. Im saying dont get so bogged down with others work that this puts a hinderance on your own.

Case in point. AT one time I was an Ansel Adams lover. I bought posters, calendars, his books, this was in the 70's (okay now you know my age). All I wanted was to produce photos like him. And you know what... it never happened. All I ended up with was more boxes in the garage storing all that stuff I bought. I gues what I trying to say is "if you see it and like it and it touches your soul, then shoot it and love it" . Care less about what others say (I know easier said than done) and focus more on what you say.

Now, Ive probably turned in a entirely different direction than what you wanted, but this morning Ive just downed 2 coffees and Im feeling rather talkative. Either way, congrats on the camera and continued success as a shooter.
Cheers,

Pete

I like them too. Real X100 territory.

The best critic (critic is a much misused word) of your work is you. You made it clear here that you were shooting to get to know the camera etc. So fine. I still like the shots. they make me curious.

In the first one there is a lot to be curious about: the setting, the girl (niece ) offering a certain look and the great capture of the dude stirring while reading.

FWIW I would have moved very quickly to capture more of the stir guy, and more of the girl. But that's just me. Your shots - if you were sitting there again, and it all repeated, what would you do differently?

Enjoy that camera.

When I was a young lad just finding my way with photography, I spent much time at the Phila Museum of Art. The curator of prints and pictures back then was a man named Ding McNulty. He took me under his wing. He taught me how to see and appreciate the art of photography. A wonderful byproduct of all this was, that I met and spent time with many of the masters of photography and other art forms.
I would show my images to these shooters and the thing that most impressed me about these little meetings was, never, not once was a negative comment ever mentioned. This is not to say that suggestions weren't made but it was always in a supportive way.

thekeddi, I'm glad you got the X100. Keep using it and you'll find you way. Your off to a good start...
Don

Why can't the forum allow multiple thanks? :D perfect answer Don :th_salute:

Thanks for the comments guys!!

@Bugleone? I know what you are saying but if we all thought that then no photos would be good enough to show by normal people. I take my photos for my own pleasure, not for how someone might perceive it. I also did not buy the X100 as a poor mans "Leica" I for one couldn't be bothered fiddling with a contraption like that and paying the premium to do so.

I was looking for something like "Try this setting or that setting" really. As I have only had the camera for a few days and am far from a photographer as such, family snapshots and taking random photos is my limit so far.

I have fallen in love with my X100 and am so glad I bought it, and to hell with the nay Sayers who say it's not as good as a "Leica" it's not supposed to be one nor does it pretend to and we don't have to be pretentious artists to take good photos.

IMHO only, so yeah that's just me :)

The first one I like as is.

I'd be curious to see the second in color.

I took them in Film mode black and white, so no colour rendition exists :-( I will try to take them again when I go to that coffee shop, Look out for lots of photos! lol

And thanks Don and others for your encouragement, it really helps a lot :)

Poor man's Leica...hmmm mm
Well here's my take on it. It's not a Leica. End of story, I think not.
Let's put the X100 and the M on equal ground as far as making photos goes. Forget the mechanical issues, that stuff has nothing to do with photography, just cameras.

The X100 brings the experience of M photography to anyone open minded. Any experienced M shooter can feel the similar feeling with the X100.
Guys that have issues with the Fuji have issues about mechanical and firmware stuff.

I have more Leica's packed in boxes, hidden from da wife than I care to mention.
The X100 is a great camera that produces images that inspire it's users to get more involved with their work.
Not many cameras can claim that.

I live mine... Right live not love...
Just keep trying to find the boundaries of your envelope and then trust the X100 to help you push past that.....

Poor man's Leica...hmmm mm
Well here's my take on it. It's not a Leica. End of story, I think not.
Let's put the X100 and the M on equal ground as far as making photos goes. Forget the mechanical issues, that stuff has nothing to do with photography, just cameras.

The X100 brings the experience of M photography to anyone open minded. Any experienced M shooter can feel the similar feeling with the X100.
Guys that have issues with the Fuji have issues about mechanical and firmware stuff.

I have more Leica's packed in boxes, hidden from da wife than I care to mention.
The X100 is a great camera that produces images that inspire it's users to get more involved with their work.
Not many cameras can claim that.

I live mine... Right live not love...
Just keep trying to find the boundaries of your envelope and then trust the X100 to help you push past that.....

I have found with the X100 that I am already trying things I never would have with my other cameras. I think all the knobs and things just make you want to try new things.

I just get a bit annoyed when people say you should just get a "Leica" it's almost like saying just get a Porsche if you have a Mini :) They put the camera down without even using it.

Some people can't afford something like that and have even stepped over the boundaries just to get the X100.

If you want to hide one of your Leicas in my house, feel free, I might even learn to use it one day :) hehehehehehe

Many years ago I use to play with a Leica III (borrowed) and it was a nice camera with a crap viewfinder. I found something out quite early. If you leave the lens cap on a Leica or just about any other camera, the photos will look the same. Take the lens cap off and you will eventually lose it.

;)

Now while I played with someone else's Leica III, I bought a Nikon F and a Robot Star IIa. I still have the Robot Star.

Oh, I never had a lens cap for my Robot Star.

Back