Leica In Two Minds

christilou

Legend
Not unusual for me! I've had the M240 and 50mm Summilux for about 3 weeks now and taken about 700 or so shots. I really need to decide whether or not to return it in the next few days (there will be a re-stocking fee). You see, I'm not really feeling that wow factor when I look at the images. I'm able to pp some of my b & w stuff and be quite pleased with it but I'm not sure about the colour output at all. It renders very warm images, even with the new firmware fix. I normally have it set for daylight as this seems to give a tad better result. It's also a bit too big for my hands. I can't reach to the shutter speed dial for full manual mode and so I've just been using aperture priority which is ok but not ideal. I can focus well enough with the RF patch, but not in a hurry and not when I'm out with a group of people as I will be if I take it on my next trip. The EVF is not as accurate as the RF. On the other hand, maybe I haven't persevered enough!

The real reason to use a Leica RF camera is neither the camera nor the RF focusing but the quality of the lenses. And so far, the digital Leica Ms are still the best solutions for the M-lenses. Which files give you the wow factor when looking at them, the RX1 ones? If yes, you might want to return the M240 body and hang on to the Summilux to test how it will perform with the new Sony A7r. It might be magic. The best sensor with the best 50mm.

The RX1 still gives me the wow factor which is why I'm not so sure about the M. I would keep the 50mm Summilux I think as I could always use it on something else and the restocking fee is not worth it in that case.

Back