Introducing Micro Four Thrids to the "Next Generation" of Photographers

entropic remnants

Hall of Famer
Name
John Griggs
Yesterday I took my 10 year old grandson for a "grandpop day" where I do something with one of the grandchildren one-on-one. Isaac is an artist with an additional interest in photography but his charger has gone bad for his old Olympus point-and-shoot.

I decided to take him to the Philadelphia Museum of Art and to make it more fun take the train and a funky shuttle bus called the "Philly Pflash" to get to the museum. I gave him the old E-P1 with 17mm f/2.8 pancake that I have in my camera collection to use and he loved it. He's taken it home with him.

Here's a few of my shots from the day mostly with the GX1 and the Panny 20mm, but a couple with the 35-100mm. Full set and story is on the pics if you're interested here: Art Museum with Isaac - a set on Flickr

9322769537_54e73731bd_b.jpg

Isaac Does a Cosmopolitan Face on the Train by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9322769395_e3055ff810_b.jpg

Rodin's "Thinker" Ponders Isaac's Gawking by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9322768913_882572e91b_b.jpg

Isaac Takes a Photo by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9326024577_45d7413830_b.jpg

Getting the Angle by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9326024765_7a2ac0aa4d_b.jpg

Punishing the Sin of Blasphemy by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9325561472_7c418a491a_b.jpg

Five Musicians by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9322767947_f79f4c93d9_b.jpg

Noble Knight by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

9325560796_11b36136a5_b.jpg

Armored Horse and Knight by Entropic Remnants, on Flickr

Your grandson looks impossibly cool. I totally want his hair. I remember not very long ago, I YEARNED for that E-P1. It was more than I was willing to spend on a camera (It was $900 when it first came out). So be sure to tell him what an awesome camera it is. I recently bought one to remind myself how great it STILL is. I actually prefer the images I get from it to the JPEG output from the E-M5 (obviously at low ISO only). Any chance we can see his shots?

cool story. i loved doing things like that with my grandpa and they are cherished memories. and that first b&w of you grandson is awesome.

i too bought the new ep1, which i ultimately traded in for the ep2 because i needed the evf (i used it mostly with legacy glass). i loved it and actually still mss it because i really bonded with it. i traded that in for the ballyhooed omd, which i personally just could not get on with, and ultimately sold in favor of the gxr m mount. i still do miss that ep2!

I'd love to see some of Isaac's handiwork with the EP1.
Curious, looking at your avatar/profile picture and the first portrait of your grandson there's certainly a resemblance, especially between the brow and the nose, so I'd be curious to see if he's inherited any more of Pop's eye ;)

Your grandson looks impossibly cool. I totally want his hair. I remember not very long ago, I YEARNED for that E-P1. It was more than I was willing to spend on a camera (It was $900 when it first came out). So be sure to tell him what an awesome camera it is. I recently bought one to remind myself how great it STILL is. I actually prefer the images I get from it to the JPEG output from the E-M5 (obviously at low ISO only). Any chance we can see his shots?

Thank you! It's till a great camera and you're right about the JPG's. It was give him this or the G1 and frankly the JPG's from the G1 aren't even close at any kind of elevated ISO.

Ha ha! You know, he is the cool intellectual. His older brother is smart but he's more of a sports guy and on his day we did -- and I'm not kidding -- 5 hours of first person shooter team play on two computers networked in my workshop, lol. We had a great time too, but they are totally different kids. There's two more boys behind them but they're still pretty young and it's hard to sort out exactly who they are and what they would most like to do -- but their turn is coming so I better get it together, lol.

I have his shots. I'll ask him if I can publish them in general or not but I'll put up a few. He's gone to bed (I just called before finishing this) so it'll be tomorrow if so. The one of the weathered stone sculpture is the photo he took in the very dim light of the temple and you can see him taking it in one of my shots (I made it b/w) with his camera held over his head. It's a 1/15 second at ISO 1600. He needs a bit of tutoring, but he did great for his first time with a camera completely different than what he is used to.

All the shots of his here are unedited and as shot in JPG from the camara.

cool story. i loved doing things like that with my grandpa and they are cherished memories. and that first b&w of you grandson is awesome.

i too bought the new ep1, which i ultimately traded in for the ep2 because i needed the evf (i used it mostly with legacy glass). i loved it and actually still mss it because i really bonded with it. i traded that in for the ballyhooed omd, which i personally just could not get on with, and ultimately sold in favor of the gxr m mount. i still do miss that ep2!

Thanks!

I told him how much that camera was new and his eyes got big. I quickly soothed him by telling him I got it for $100 so don't worry about it. He likes to take care of things so I think he'll treat it well. I worry a lot more about if his younger brothers get a hold of it!!!

Okay so here's some of his shots:

20130719-P7190348.jpg
20130719-P7190286.jpg
20130719-P7190316.jpg

I'd love to wring everyone's neck who has ever said a disparaging word about that 17mm f2.8. It's a truly great lens. It's not crazy sharp like the Panasonic 20mm, but it has gobs of character. I'd like to get another one for what I sold my last one for. It's funny that so many put it down, but I never see any for sale:popcorm2:

Anywho....I wish I had taken that first shot. I quite like the perspective of feeling like I'm trampled underfoot of this equine majesty in full armor.

Isaac did well. This here is good work. Did you leave him to his own devices with these two? If so, he's getting some accurate exposure and wicked DoF out - not to take away from his great compositions) of that much discounted (and often maligned) 17/2.8!!!

He was in iAuto and AF mode the whole time. I did not kibitz once we started other than to quote Robert Capa at him when he first started taking shots and asked me why they didn't look really good. I told him that "the famous photographer Robert Capa said if your shots aren't interesting enough, you're not close enough." He looked at me a minute, nodded, and started changing up his approach to get closer to some things and that helped get him some DOF out of the old 17mm f/2.8. I think I also suggested he try shooting display cases from an angle that gave him the least glare off the glass as well. Mostly, I let him discover things for himself.

I also gave him some advance instruction before we started along the lines of, "You're going to be shooting a camera that doesn't zoom. I've set it for automatic everything but YOU have to decide where to stand, at what angle and you'll zoom with your feet. It'll teach you quite a bit about really SEEING the subject." I do think he got it. Other than that, I did not coach him and let him work through things.

Thanks for your comments guys and I'll pass them along to him. He'll be excited!

Very cool story John, and he's off to a great start. I don't have either of the Oly 17mm lenses anymore, but I do have the original OVF designed for that lens and don't have any use for it, so if by chance Isaac would like to add a rudimentary viewfinder to his kit, you/he are welcome to an indefinite loan on it. I think I paid $40 or less for it quite a while ago, so not to worry about it al all. I'm back in a little over another week, so anytime after that...

-Ray

Very cool story John, and he's off to a great start. I don't have either of the Oly 17mm lenses anymore, but I do have the original OVF designed for that lens and don't have any use for it, so if by chance Isaac would like to add a rudimentary viewfinder to his kit, you/he are welcome to an indefinite loan on it. I think I paid $40 or less for it quite a while ago, so not to worry about it al all. I'm back in a little over another week, so anytime after that...

-Ray

That's a very kind offer. I think it would help him with stability at times for sure. Let's do a lunch sometime when you get back? We're about due, lol.

-Ray
Now this is exactly why I love this place. Top people with their heart in the right place. Good on ya Ray!!! :2thumbs:

This week I am introducing another of my daughters to m43. Today is her birth day (41, Not a child ). Giving her the G1 and 14-42. So 2 daughters, a daughter-in-law and myself. Used a bunch of different gear over a lot of years, but seem to have settled into m43, and recommending it to others. Good move, to get your grandson started "right"!

I'd love to wring everyone's neck who has ever said a disparaging word about that 17mm f2.8. It's a truly great lens. It's not crazy sharp like the Panasonic 20mm, but it has gobs of character. I'd like to get another one for what I sold my last one for. It's funny that so many put it down, but I never see any for sale:popcorm2:

Anywho....I wish I had taken that first shot. I quite like the perspective of feeling like I'm trampled underfoot of this equine majesty in full armor.

Agreed, on that lens and his first shot. That was striking!

Here's some more of his stuff -- except the first one which I took with his camera while we were in the car on the way to the train station. All the rest are his.

These ARE edited, but you can only do so much with a jpg so they are more tweaks than anything else. Mainly color correction and some sharpening to make up for noise filtered softness. Most of these of his are at ISO 1600 which is the top for the E-P1. Shows how clean the jpgs are.

He's excited that you guys are looking at these. He says the next to last one with the gold dragon looking at the clock (it was part of the clock -- very cool clock) is his favorite.

Isaac1-1.JPG
Isaac1-2.JPG
Isaac1-3.JPG
Isaac1-4.JPG
Isaac1-5.JPG
Isaac1-6.JPG
Isaac1-7.JPG
Isaac1-8.JPG
Isaac1-9.JPG

Back