1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Introducing Myself

Discussion in 'Welcomes and Introductions' started by bonjac, Mar 15, 2013.

1. bonjac

bonjac SC Rookie

Mar 14, 2013
    Santa Ynez, California
    Jack
    Hi to all, My name is Jack and I just joined serious compacts. I'm a big fan of compact cameras. I have spent a lot of time lugging a DSLR and all the gadgets around and found it awkward and bulky. I have been shooting for about 5 years and started from a point of no experience whatsoever. For the longest time I basically believed there were only two kinds of cameras: Dslr for real photographers and point&shoot for rank amateurs. I belong to a camera club where camera size and price are the hallmarks of real photographers. But by chance, I met a fellow doing some photography and we got to talking. He was using a very small camera and I remarked about its size. He told me it was a Leica M8 and showed me some images on his laptop. I was amazed. Subsequently, I rented a Leica (not an easy thing to do) and tried it out. It was light, unobtrusive, easy to use, intuitive, not overly complicated, and the results were impressive. I was hooked. Leica prices are out of my league for right now. So I did some research, found out about the Ricoh GXR with an M mount and here I am. I didn't realize there was a site like this and delighted to have found it. I look forward to "meeting" you and sharing experiences and information. My primary photo interests are landscape and street shooting. However, I shoot whatever grabs my eye. My first m lens is a Minolta Rokkor 40mm. I use Aperture on an iMac for my processing and editing. I tend to shoot RAW. Cheers, Jack

• Like Like x 4
  2. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    Welcome, Jack. You have definitely come to the right place ;)

Sent from another Galaxy

3. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Hello Jack. Welcome :smile:

4. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Welcome, Jack!

I'm a recovering DSLR user myself. I have a stable of micro four thirds cams and lenses, and a Panasonic LX7 that now goes everywhere with me.

This is a great online community and this and Mu-43 are the only ones I belong to. Great people (and many of the same people, lol) on both.

5. HeatherTheVet

HeatherTheVet SC All-Pro

Apr 23, 2011
    Scotland
    Heather
    Hi Jack, glad your journey has brought you here. Sometimes I think I'd like a DSLR, and then I remember you have to carry it.
    I use Aperture as well on MacBook Pro. I'm not very good with it, I probably use about 5% of its capability. One day I will learn more.

The photo challenges are a good way to get yourself started here - give it a go, get some pictures up and I look forward to seeing what you've been up to with the Ricoh

6. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Hi Jack, sounds like you've had quite the photographic revelation! I like the idea of the GXR, although I don't think it fits my particular needs right now. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

7. Briar

Briar SC All-Pro

Oct 27, 2010
    Scotland
    Karen
    Hi Jack

Welcome to Serious Compacts! Somewhere in my cupboard I have a GXR with the 28mm and 50mm module. Not used it over the winter but when Edinburgh livens up a bit no doubt I will hit the streets with it again. Look forward to seeing your images and posts on the Forum.