Introduction from new member in New England

mcentral

Regular
Name
mcentral
Hello, Michael is the name. I've been a reader and lurker for a few months, so thanks to all for the informative and friendly forum. My photography story is difficult to sum up but here's one version - I learned on a 35mm Pentax as a teen in the '80s. I later had a film P&S just for snaps, and then an early Nikon digital P&S around 2001, which I don't think I even used. And then that's it. I sat on the sidelines, no film or digital, not even a smartphone. But I was always aware of what was going on, married to a fine art photographer who taught and had gallery representation and was in a few museum collections. She also printed her own work in her studio, even color up to 20 inch prints, which is fairly unusual. So I was around photography, and gear like crazy - Leica and medium format and pinhole and panoramics - everything (well except any sort of studio stuff). I dabbled in super8 and 16mm film and video in the early DV days in the mid-late '90s. So I was always sort of immersed in photography, if not directly involved. But then I don't think I took a photo from about 2002 until last December when I bought as used gf1 and 20mm/1.7 and Lightroom. So it's been a crash course for the last year and I'm totally into it. Graduated to a gx1 with VF2, which I love. Then a few months ago I got the Ricoh GR and just last week I got the 21mm lens, which I'm loving so far. I'm down with the whole compact thing, and really value usability and UI and simplicity over almost everything (as you might guess by my two cameras) But I just decided to replace the GX1 with and EPL5, so out goes that whole theory. But I wanted to try a newer M43 camera before making a final decision on the format (I'm like the rest of you, weighing the pros and cons of NEX and A7 and Fuji and RX100 and RX1 etc). So the plan is to stick with that kit for at least the next year. GR and the wide angle lens, EPL5 and 20mm plus two Minolta Rokkor lenses, a 50/1.4 and the incredibly compact MD 135mm/3.5. So I have 21, 28, 40, 100, 270 and 2 bodies, all in a bag that could fit in Mike Napoli's beard. {EDIT later when I realized that is a sort of parochial reference for such an international site. The person is a pro athlete from the local team currently in a prominent championship series and currently sporting a ridiculous beard.} Maybe add the Oly 45.
So hello, I have many questions, not merely about gear.

Thanks for the welcome. I haven't yet customized my profile but you can see some work on my flickr. I'm strictly amateur and in it for fun, but with a seriousness of purpose and a desire to work towards someday making a small body of work that could sort of be considered art if you squint a bit. My flickr is mostly street and urban life, which is my main interest at the moment. But I'm open to it all, except not really: I'm not that drawn to conceptual photography or studio portraiture or anything with pantomime or make believe or pretty art school kids posing in fields.

http://http://www.flickr.com/photos/massivecentral/

Hi Michael

Welcome to serious compacts. I tried clicking on your flickr link but the link is not working. You have one too many https! :)

First, welcome! Second, we probably live within 2 miles of each other. Wouldn't be shocked if we knew people in common, it sounds like you're more or less my age. If you ever want to see a well-used X100 in person (or borrow rokkor glass, I have several), lemme know.

Michael, thanks for the wonderful intro with all the details. I love to read about how people found their way into photography.

As for Mike Napoli's beard - I had to laugh! Watching the World Series as a native New Yorker, now transplanted to the north west corner of Connecticut - how could I not "root, root for the home team"? Does Connecticut even have a home team?:confused: I'll always be a Yankees fan, but the Red Sox are my pinch hitters.:D

Please show us some of your photos - in the meantime, I'll check out your Flickr link, which I'd missed initially. You're off tonight since the World Series isn't on until tomorrow - so don't hold back.;)

Isn't Hartford the traditional dividing line? So the state is more or less 50/50. But then civilized people like you might skew the totals by allowing a bit of allegiance to both. Agree with your attitude 100% but we might be a minority!

Back