Invitation: Pinhole photography

I wasn't reminded until 1130pm yesterday evening (Sunday 29th April) that it was World Pinhole Photography Day (WPPD) for 2012 ... see
Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day ... damn! ... so anyway, I stuck my head out the back door and decided it was too cold and damp to do much more than switch on the outside light and set up a tripod on the doormat ...

7128705839_6d4323a114_b.jpg

back yard pinhole by _loupe, on Flickr

7128703509_ba2f698f1d_b.jpg

back yard pinhole by _loupe, on Flickr

E-P2, Pinwide pinhole cap, 20s, f/128, ISO1600

I knew it was World Pinhole Day however the Skink Pinhole Pancake I ordered for my rangefinder hasn't arrived yet. Even so, if I had shot on that day it would have been film and not published yet. As long as you do it!

*I had actually created my own pinhole via Canon lens cap, a lot of precise measuring, a teeny drill bit and a nicely fitting clear lens filter on the inside [no dust on the sensor needed] which is similar to a design I saw on the market, though a lot cheaper.

They give you until the end of May to submit, Kristen, as they expect most people will be using film anyway.

Still got that Canon cap? We could do with new blood in this thread ...

I have the Canon cap-mod I made and a Subjektiv 4-in-1 with pinhole capabilities, both for my Rebel XSi. I have to admit I tried the pinhole a few times, didn't have a lot of patience/luck. With the May challenge too, not sure I can squeeze it in but maybe two birds with one stone. I'll try for it, sound good? My Skink should come in that time too, though that is LTM. And now my plate is full beyond full.

hehe yep, it's a favourite and very close to home ... I will take a lot of photos of this tree this year I think, it's been dying some years now and I think it has finally succumbed, so I expect one day to look out and find the council have been round and pulled it up ... as for "spots" - a pinhole cap is a very good way of discovering how dirty one's sensor is :)

Checked delivery status for my Skink Pinhole Pancake.. it should be here today. I..... can't..... wait..... two..... hours!!!! Ahem anyway. Just saying :)

I have made a number of pinhole images with film but only a few using digital. Here is one of my digital images.

3222980668_7e420efc3e_z.jpg

i like how that looks Grant ... care to share how you did it ?

No problem in sharing, although it is not much to the technique. I had an old body cap in the bottom of my kit and I simply drilled a 1/4" hole in it. Then I took a small piece of copper garden edging, it was thicker than foil but not by much, and put a tiny pin hole in it and then I glued it to the end cap. A made a few test shots to get an acceptable exposure. I used a tripod, and did composition as well as I could on a very dull screen, tripped the shutter then I nature did the rest.

The only post processing I did was to spot a way a few dust spots.

Thanks Grant.
Not everybody knows how to do this sort of thing (I've read posts on forums from people who had no idea how a pinhole photograph was made, or even that there is no lens involved) so it's useful to have it described.
With a bit of luck someone else will get stuck in and have a go ...

Thanks Grant.
Not everybody knows how to do this sort of thing ...

You're right, if you haven't tried something it may seem hard but once you have tried it then it often seems easy.

Here is an image of how the general set up looks. The pinhole must be small, just a prick. Then lightly sand the back side so you get a near perfect hole with no burs. Other that that all else is just trial and error.

3721491417_ec8876579d_o.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I should have thought to relight this thread sooner as it was World Pinhole Photography Day on Sunday 28th April ...

oh well.

I made two images yesterday, but I don't handle sheet film often enough to have learned how to handle it without hashing up the emulsion, hence a bit messy:

8691432279_c0620edb22_c.jpg

20130429-1 by _loupe, on Flickr

8692549668_e6af6abf09_c.jpg

20130429-2 by _loupe, on Flickr

Back