Fuji Is everyone loving their X-Pro1...cos I'm not!

I think I will try and shoot in RAW and see if I like the files even more. I may need to get LR4 or even try Capture one Pro 7 which looks like it does a better job than LR. I'll keep plugging away at it, you never know I may like it more as time goes on.

LOL!! I think Andy already said he didn't like the feel of the XE1. :)

The 1st time i picked up the X-E1 I though.. WOW! What a cheap bit of plastic! It feels better with a 35mm lens and feels kinda OK now i have handled it a few times but initially it was very disappointing! The X-Pro does feel much nicer than the X-E1. The funny thing is that everyone in our shop (staff) said the same as me! Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on the XP. :D

The X100 is definitely the most "tank" like feeling out of the X10, X100, XP1 and XE1. Maybe the XP2 will have top and bottom brass plates! :)

I doubt it but the new Pentax MX-1 has!

highres-MX-1_frontside_st_SILVER_1357563249.jpg

Attachments

• mx-1_frontside_st_silver.jpg
    mx-1_frontside_st_silver.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 147
  • highres-MX-1_frontside_st_SILVER_1357563249.jpg
    highres-MX-1_frontside_st_SILVER_1357563249.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 104
Yes, I actually like the "look" of the MX1. It's more appealing than its inspiration, the Oly XZ2. I do wish manufacturers would stop scribbling the names of the cameras on the front of the body.

The 1st time i picked up the X-E1 I though.. WOW! What a cheap bit of plastic! It feels better with a 35mm lens and feels kinda OK now i have handled it a few times but initially it was very disappointing! The X-Pro does feel much nicer than the X-E1. The funny thing is that everyone in our shop (staff) said the same as me! Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh on the XP. :D

I likely would not get an XE1 because I prefer an OVF. But I am a bit surprised at the 'cheap plastic' description. It may indeed be light, but it feels to me very well constructed; very solid in every regard. Of course all this is subjective, but that description seems a bit out of touch. Perhaps in a camera shop, where all types are held each day, the relative feel is more apparent.

I likely would not get an XE1 because I prefer an OVF. But I am a bit surprised at the 'cheap plastic' description. It may indeed be light, but it feels to me very well constructed; very solid in every regard. Of course all this is subjective, but that description seems a bit out of touch. Perhaps in a camera shop, where all types are held each day, the relative feel is more apparent.

Perhaps i was being a bit harsh but it is pretty light and does feel a bit like a toy without a lens on. Well built though just like all the fuji X range.

Perhaps i was being a bit harsh but it is pretty light and does feel a bit like a toy without a lens on. Well built though just like all the fuji X range.

It's build is solid enough to last for 9 months, the average shelf life of digital cameras these days, until an "improved" version comes along;)

I only handled it with the 18-55, so can't comment on body only. Overall I was impressed, though I prefer the added space on the X-Pro 1.

I dunno why but I just don't like it very much. The IQ is great but I do preferred the X100 files. I also don't like the way it feels in my hands which is a real shame. It feels like a light weight brick if that makes sense? The X100 felt solid and had substance where the XP feels kinda empty. I was hoping it would be a X100 with a rocket up it's bottom but for me it's just not hitting the right buttons. So it's up for sale :(

Hey ho...what next??? And No....not the X100s as I would prefer an interchangeable system and have always been tempted by full frame.

Any ideas?

I can understand. I did not keep the XP1, but I love the X100.

Why are you looking for an interchangeable system? That will help guide recommendations.

I have been following this thread with great interest and my thanks to those who have contributed thus far.

Sitting in the corner of my office is my D700 complete with grip and batteries and a lens, all ready to sell. I won't bore you with the trajectory I have followed, but suffice to say much as I love the output from the D700 (and I have been a Nikon man for years on the film front) the D700 is so big, so bulky and so much not me that I haven't taken a shot with it since shooting a wedding at the end of September last year. I cannot see myself taking it travelling or on holiday so effectively it is out. I have been humming and hawing about a Fuji - either the X-Pro or the X-E1 for some time now. I still have my GXR but am becoming increasingly depressed that it is the last of its breed, with the Pentax side of the house getting all the investment going forward.

Bearing in mind I have a number of Leica M, LTM and R (converted to Nikon) mount lenses as well as a couple of M bodies, a Leica II and an FM3a I am not looking for a "main camera" but one which will fit in to the "palette" that I already have. I have been very impressed with my X-10 and its' bigger brothers are a logical step.

I can see the first purchase therefore being the Pro/E1 body plus the 35mm lens; that would suit me down to the ground as a basic setup. I may also consider the 18-55 zoom, particularly in kit form with the X-E1 for budgetary reasons but the 35 will have to appear sometime due to my penchant for fast "standard" lenses.

Again, given my affinity for Leica M, the X-Pro appeals because of the direct vision viewfinder, but I understand that the X-E1 has a better evf and manual focus implementation. The X-E1 in kit form reminds me very much of one of my favourite cameras of all time - the Leica Digilux 2/Panasonic LC-1 (I had the latter). Everything came together in that camera to create a superlative user experience; excellent glass, logical controls, good results - and I realise that in digital terms I have been seeking its successor for years now.

So, what to do? The D700 will go to fund this step. Do I go for the EVF-only X-E1 or the hybrid X-Pro?

Apologies for the ramble, and thank you for reading thus far!

Again, given my affinity for Leica M, the X-Pro appeals because of the direct vision viewfinder, but I understand that the X-E1 has a better evf and manual focus implementation.

So, what to do? The D700 will go to fund this step. Do I go for the EVF-only X-E1 or the hybrid X-Pro?
Well, I'm exactly one data point, but the hybrid OVF/EVF is one of the primary reasons I bought the X100 and followed it up with the X-Pro. Shooting prime lenses through the OVF is one of the big joys of my photographic life. So my recommendation is obviously for the X-Pro. But I'm just one guy - many feel differently.

In tems of your first statement (of the 2 quoted above), I know that the XE1 has a higher resolution EVF, but in what way does it have a better manual focus implementation? No "by wire" lens has the classic feel of a mechanical lens, but in terms of magnification and the lens behavior I believe they're the same. With all of the firmware up to date, I don't believe there's a difference other than EVF resolution, but the EVF in the X-Pro is more than good enough to know when you've found focus.

-Ray

In tems of your first statement (of the 2 quoted above), I know that the XE1 has a higher resolution EVF, but in what way does it have a better manual focus implementation? No "by wire" lens has the classic feel of a mechanical lens, but in terms of magnification and the lens behavior I believe they're the same. With all of the firmware up to date, I don't believe there's a difference other than EVF resolution, but the EVF in the X-Pro is more than good enough to know when you've found focus.

Ray, thanks for that. I should clarify - I would only manual-focus with my M/F lenses - I am not a masochist. My understanding is that you have to use an EVF to focus and the EVF in the X-E1 is superior, so that does matter to me.

Regards,

Bill

Ray, thanks for that. I should clarify - I would only manual-focus with my M/F lenses - I am not a masochist. My understanding is that you have to use an EVF to focus and the EVF in the X-E1 is superior, so that does matter to me.

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill,

That does clarify, because I had the same question as Ray. I have the XP1, and have played with an XE1. The EVF on the latter is indeed better. As in all things there are trade-offs. I do not manual focus very often, but when I do the XP1 EVF is not just good enough, it is excellent. The major point though is that I would not be willing to give up the OVF.

I think the XPs EVF will serve you very well, to the most critical level. If you can of course, please try them both out, and see how you feel.

Switching between the different VFs is simply, intuitive and instantaneous. I don't think about it any more. Which is how I feel about all the controls. Fast, easy to use. I also like being able to glance at the camera and see the current settings without having to peer at a menu. ISO is the only exception to this.

I also prefer the XP size. The XE is not at all tiny, or even cramped. But the slightly larger size just feels right to me, without being significantly more bulky in any way.

Although i did ask for reccomendations for a replacement to the X-Pro1 Iam keeping it and will lear how to use it properly with the help of a few books!!!

Roll on decent weather....which is probably not helping matters as it's so gloomy out :(

Roll on decent weather....which is probably not helping matters as it's so gloomy out :(

Here too. We aren't getting many of the bright clear days that have such good light. On the other hand, if you are in to slush, mud, and grunge then it's pretty good.

I still have my GXR but am becoming increasingly depressed that it is the last of its breed, with the Pentax side of the house getting all the investment going forward.

Where are you getting that idea? At least can you show how internal funds are being distributed or announcements about lines being dropped? Pentax Ricoh have been slow at releasing anything--it has taken them forever to release the FA D 645 90mm lens that was announced over a year ago. When Sony bought Konica Minolta Photo Imaging, that did not kill off the Cyber-Shot line, nor did it stop the continuation of the Konica Minolta lines. And exactly what benefit is there to kill off one of Ricoh's most popular lines? Ricoh bought Pentax, not the other way around.

Back