Leica Is Leica the new Fuji?* - 5 Reasons to Buy the Leica T - Mattias Burling

Interesting video. I never really paid much attention to this camera until this.
Thanks for sharing. Does look like fun to use, but searching around I don't think you can get one with the 23mm lens for the price of a Fuji X100F.
Maybe used on eBay..

Yeah, I looked, too. Maybe once in a blue moon, but I didn't see anything anywhere for less than $2k.....so not even close. And without a proper viewfinder, isn't this Leica going after a viewfinder-less Fuji (sorry I don't know the model).

I knew from the click-bait title that it would not be a well-reasoned argument for the Leica (not to say it isn't the right camera for someone).

It even seems like the reviewer understands better than to compare dislike camera to each-other....and then he falls into the same trap.

I'm just going to keep waiting until the X100F hits the $999 mark...or I may wait longer....my original X100 still works fine.

To state the obvious, when you close your eyes imagining what it must be like to hold the legendary Leica in your hand, looking through that viewfinder and snapping that well prepared shot as the golden hour appears, it ain't the Leica T you're thinking about. I really don't see any practical reason for getting it over a Fuji and so no, it's not the new Fuji.

Well.

I haven't bothered with the vid (music...) but I venture to suggest I know a thing or two about Leica.

I used M, R and LTM for over twenty years. I still have a IID from the 1920s that I run a film through occasionally. I have owned and used M2, M4, M6, M7 and MP4 as well as R5, R7, IIIc and IIIf. I have also owned CM, Minilux, Digilux 2, D-Lux 4 and more lenses than you could shake a stick at.

In short the Leica of today is not the new Fuji. Not even close. The T is an overpriced pastiche. Fuji overtook Leica some time ago and I don't see the situation changing anytime soon.

But you have to admit the T is sure a pretty camera

Here's one for $1800+
Leica 018-181 T 16 MP Compact System Camera with 3.7-Inch LCD Silver | eBay

Well, pretty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.....it's definitely shiny. I think the Leicas with viewfinder are infinitely better-looking (maybe handsome instead of pretty?)

And to be clear, in the video, Mattias referenced finding a T (with a 23mm lens) for under $2k (which is still a ways off from $1,299 from where I sit. The one in that ebay listing is misleading....it shows a product photo of a T sporting a lens, but the listing is for a body only. I have dabbled in digital photography without lenses.....the results were disappointing, to say the least.

In short, I think Leica offers two strengths with it's brand......legendary lenses and the only camera-maker that still offers a TRUE rangefinder focusing mechanism. The lenses can be used with any manufacturers body (with varying degrees of success and/or hassle). But TO ME, a Leica body (no matter how attractive or from whatever rare Earth element it may be milled from) is of no interest without a rangefinder focusing system.

I agree about the rangefinder and the M bodies.
But what interested me about the T is the icon based iPhone like interface. Seems innovative and unique.
It would be fun to try, but not at that price point...

In short, I think Leica offers two strengths with it's brand......legendary lenses and the only camera-maker that still offers a TRUE rangefinder focusing mechanism. The lenses can be used with any manufacturers body (with varying degrees of success and/or hassle). But TO ME, a Leica body (no matter how attractive or from whatever rare Earth element it may be milled from) is of no interest without a rangefinder focusing system.

It is not only that, it is simplified manual controls in a small package. Back in the day every cam was manual aka simplified....aperture, focus and shutter speed. That plus the rangefinder is what appeals to me with Leica.

Do you remember when Fujifilm used to build Leicas?
(Photo taken with Panasonic G1 using Olympus OM Zuiko 50 mm f/3.5 macro lens and adapter.)
Leica Open LoRes.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Back