Is my DSLR compact enough? Small enough?

Discussion in 'Small DSLR Forum' started by BBW, Mar 25, 2011.

1. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    If you've been wondering whether or not it's OK to discuss your smaller DSLR here or post photographs, please check out this thread which has recently been updated: https://www.photographerslounge.org/f17/what-compact-my-camera-compact-16/ The bottom line is if the camera is larger than what feels small to you, you won't consider it small, but if it feels small to you, it is small enough.:flowers_2:

I hope this will put people's minds at ease. Please make yourself comfortable and don't hesitate to start a thread about your camera, if one doesn't already exist. You may certainly also post in the various image threads, and/or start an image thread in here devoted to your particular compact DSLR.

P.S.* It's up to each member as to whether or not they want post under their photographs what kind of camera they were using. If people wish to list their camera, and want to include more information such as f stop, lens, etc., by all means please do!

*edited to make thing clearer.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
    BB, I agree with everything you said except for this part:
    Sometimes - especially in W/NW threads and the "Image Threads" forums in general - members may want to de-emphasize the gear and just focus on the picture. I think this is a personal preference which will vary from one person to the next.

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Good point. I shouldn't have said "always preferred". It is definitely up to the individual.:th_salute:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Brian

Brian SC Top Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    My DSLR is NOT a compact camera.

[​IMG]

Nikon E3, full-frame Digital camera. Hard to believe things can change so much in 14 years.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    That's for sure! It almost looks like a weapon.:wink:

6. Burkey

Burkey SC Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Northern New England
    OK, I violated da' code. I've always wanted a full size sensor camera and finally bought one. Is it compact? Probably for The Hulk. It's a used original Canon 5D. I don't think I'll be carrying it around like my X10 or X100 but still, the images are pretty incredible. An enjoyable alternative. One of my first shots, ISO800, 50mm, f2.
    http://mountaintroll.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v20/p1045808116-5.jpg
    . . . David

Attached Files:

7. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    I didn't think that the dslr's were compacts. Not sure I can consider measuring by the size of the thing particularly with a 100mm macro lens on it [makes it front heavy] however its a canon 1.6 crop Rebel XSi so a bare bones consumer grade. I see the ff's or even the 7D and it looks small in comparison.

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Well, Its like they say... if its compact for you.. then its compact. I couldnt use one of the Nikon or Canon big guns without using a truck. But my K-5 is a midget by comparison, and I can shoot with it one handed (when using primes) so I consider it small enough to be compact.

That said, I post more from the GRD, XZ and X100 than I do from the K-5.

If anybody gets fretful about their camera size, they could go to camerasize.com and check it out. Its very enlightening.

[edit] example: The Fuji XS-1 is bigger in all dimensions (not including lens) than the K-5 and many small DSLRs...

9. Pelao

Pelao SC All-Pro S.C. Charter Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Stephen
    The 5D is the only camera I regret selling. The images have a 'feel' I love. All my lenses were great with it, but the 50/1.4 was perfect. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Thanks for that site!

The Canon EOS Rebel XSi (450D) is smaller than the Pentax K-5. It is also smaller than the 60D. 7D and the MK's.

Canon EOS Rebel XSi is 2% (2.2 mm) narrower and 1% (0.5 mm) taller than Pentax K-5.
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi is 15% (11.1 mm) thinner than Pentax K-5.
    Canon EOS Rebel XSi [524 g] weights 29% (216 grams) less than Pentax K-5 [740 g] (*inc. batteries and memory card).

Canon EOS Rebel XSi dimensions: 128.8x97.5x61.9 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)
    Pentax K-5 dimensions: 131x97x73 mm (camera body only, excluding protrusion)

Even in sensor it is smaller:

Canon Rebel 12MP 1.6 Crop
    Pentax K-5 16 1.5 Crop

So I guess my big camera is smaller than yours. And I can shoot one handed unless using a macro or long telephoto/zoom where I would want extra stability or manual focusing. I haven't mastered holding and manually focusing the camera with one hand. In fact not sure that is even possible with a wrist strap. You must mean shooting with autofocus. :) My smaller camera as you know is the G12. The May Photo Challenge was probably 90% or more G12 for me. I think on a couple shots I used the DSLR. Would like at least a 7d or its successor for Macro. I don't think my small hands could handle the MK's but a 7d would give me more stability/counterbalance when using the longer lenses and still, for me, be gripable. I have small hands.

Trying to figure out what is compact without a yes/no rule in place is arbitrary. In the end it's kinda like 'jumbo shrimp", is it jumbo or is it shrimp?

11. snake

snake SC Regular

Oct 4, 2011
    Using that site, I'm stunned to see how big the E3 and E5 are compared to the K-5. Those were supposed to be small dSLRs made around the smaller sensor. Those things are utterly huge and comparable to a 5D in certain dimensions.

12. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    They are *monsters*. I picked one up to look at when I went to PMA at Darling Harbour (Sydney) a couple of years ago and I almost dropped it.

13. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    There ya go :)

14. samphoto

samphoto New to SC

Jun 4, 2012
    I never thought DSLR is compact, rangefinder is closer to what I think is compact. I would say iphone is really compact.
    My perception about compact is something I would not feel uncomfortable to carry with me all the time, not extruding. In this sense, DSLR is never compact to me, not even the Sony nex system.
    M43 with pan cake lens is getting there.

15. Isoterica

Dec 6, 2011
    Actually my idea of compact is something you can stuff in a purse or pocket and generally fixed lens. Once it has interchangeable lenses that protrude from the front of the camera I don't see it as all that compact. My dslr is smaller than pro models but i don't really consider it a compact camera even if it is fun to joke about it. Rangefinders.. M43, they are all borderline IMHO. But I like that there is variety to this group and appreciate the range of options, besides the really large pro cameras, that Amin is going for.

16. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    My e410 with the 25mm pancake is small, almost compact. The same body with the 70-300mm is not.

17. Tonto

Tonto SC Rookie

My take- My K7(K5 body) I don't consider compact. But then it is my first SLR camera- I consider my Kx to be compact only with a small prime- Lastly I consider my MX5 to be tiny in comparison.

18. Country Parson

Country Parson SC Top Veteran

Apr 5, 2011
    North Carolina
    Dan
    Even some mirror-less cameras are beginning to get some size. The Panasonic GH3 appears to be almost as large as my Nikon D7000, and I do not consider the Nikon a compact.

19. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    For me, this is compact enough for most motorcycle stories.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/5117613985/" title="How much Pentax can you fit in a LowePro Slingshot 100? by john m flores, on Flickr">[​IMG]"374" height="640" alt="How much Pentax can you fit in a LowePro Slingshot 100?"></a>

That's is a lot of high quality Pentax stuffed into a LowePro Slingshot 100. I can wear that all day on my back riding a sportbike
    The picture's a couple of years old, so today it is something like this:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/7681869956/" title="It's In the Bag, Western States Edition by john m flores, on Flickr">[​IMG]"640" height="504" alt="It's In the Bag, Western States Edition"></a>

I need redundancy - I can't come back and tell the editor that I didn't take photos because a camera flaked out.

What's the smallest kit I'd consider taking? Maybe a pair of Panasonic G3/G5s or OMD-EM5s and a trio of primes - Panny 14 f/2.5, Panny 20 f/1.7, Oly 45 f/1.8. And the Pentax Q. I always take it. It hangs around my neck while riding and also shoots 1080p video. I'd even consider a pair of Nikon V1s with the 10-30 and 30-100 zooms. I'd have to work harder to get the right shots, but doable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve