1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is my team ploughing (horses at work)

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by grebeman, Aug 10, 2013.

1. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Those are not A E Housman´s blue remembered hills in the far distance, but the South Hams of Devon as seen from Sorley Cross just outside Kingsbridge at todays vintage farming rally, and these guys pulling the plough are Robert and Harold.

[​IMG]

1090360-b_w.

1090329-b_w.

1090336-b_w.

Barrie

2. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    A handsome pair!

3. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Nice shots. Just a personal thing but I think the firt one would be better with less drama in the sky. I find it distracting.

4. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Perhaps a little overdone, but I like my dramatic skies :smile:

Barrie

5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    One day the folks of Devon will discover John Deere and things will never be the same again :wink:

Great series Barrie. Showed the better half who lives for horses and you got a thumbs up. :thumbup: High praise indeed!

6. biglouis

biglouis SC Veteran

Aug 4, 2013
    Third shot does it for me. Although you can't see what the horses are pulling there is a lot of character in that shot.

LouisB

7. Kind of neat to see old school technology

8. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Thanks Mark, and kindly thank your better half for me. I have a photograph of an early John Deere there (with the side by side front wheels), the driver is in my other series on people there https://www.photographerslounge.org/f23/characters-agricultural-show-people-work-20854/

Barrie

9. RT Panther

RT Panther SC All-Pro

Dec 25, 2012
    Sometimes, there's nothing like doing things the old-fashioned way...Great stuff! :smile

10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Great as a series, with the third image of just the two horses being my favourite.

11. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    I spent many long hours in my youth, following mules and horses through the fields and woods. We had no tractor on the small dairy farm, until after I left home. About 90 acres of crop and pasture land was cared for by "horse/mule/man/boy" power. We also did some small timber logging with them. A lot of hard work and great memories, attached to working animals. Thanks for the reminder. :smile:

12. grebeman

Jul 13, 2010
    Barrie
    My pleasure

13. Brianive

Brianive New to SC

Nov 11, 2010
    Great shots of horses pushing (not pulling a plow). Harnesses and gear are designed for the horses to push against the collar that rides around their neck, thus resulting in the plow moving forward. My first "real job" on the farm was driving a pair of these gentle giants up and down the rows "packing" the just planted corn on my parent's farm. I was all of about seven years old.

14. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Beautifully seen and I think you are just getting better and better and better to best in your black and white, Barrie!

By the way, I love the high key drama in your first as Robert and Harold are putting their all into it. The textures throughout are fantastic - and so is this handsome pair. Wonderful!

15. ivoire

ivoire SC All-Pro

Dec 3, 2011
    chicago burbs
    mike
    +1 to that! You'r turning out great BnW... Bold and Dramatic is a style I enjoy.