1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Pan DMC FZ200 the new #1 bridgecamera?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Herman, Aug 1, 2012.

1. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
  2. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Constant F2.8 is nice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    X-S1 has a bigger sensor, probably better sealing/build quality, manual zoom.
    FZ200 has constant f2.8, and is quite a big lighter.

• Like Like x 1
  4. nippa

nippa SC Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2010
    Cheshire UK
    Dennis
    But doesn't the lens droop? And it needs the new sensor.

It was the FZ10 and FZ20 that brought me back to photography so I'm well disposed to the Lumix Range

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin SC Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland
    Did anyone read that super-zoom test in one of the UK camera magazines about a month ago?
    (Sorry, can't remember the name of the magazine)
    I just skipped over it, but the X-S1 fared not as well as I expected. Their overall winner was the Canon SX40.
    Looking at their test photos for sharpness/softness supported their conclusion.
    (Of course there's more to cameras than that, but there's also more to cameras than sensor size :) )

Does anyone have a link to a current super-zoom group test?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Julien

Julien SC Top Veteran

Jan 6, 2012
    Paris, France
    Julien
    Which do you mean? X-S1 or FZ200? The X-S1 lens is not great for what I've read, but then again I wouldn't expect the 25-600mm f2.8 of the FZ200 to be very sharp either. We're talking 24x zoom here.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    The X-S1 has lens droop in some cameras. I've also read that some feel that it doesn't seem to affect sharpness, but I'd take that with a grain of salt. I'm in the market for a bridge camera to replace my m43 kit. I'm just tired of carrying around a whole slew of lenses when I go on vacation. The Fuji and the Panasonic are the 2 that I have zeroed in on.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Oly makes a 14-150mm lens, Panny has a similar one. So perhaps m4/3 is still a go'er?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Thanks for the suggestion Lili. Once you've tasted of the 300mm (600mm effective) goodness, it's hard to give up the ultrareach. And just having the option to add extra lenses will mean I will buy more. I'm really enjoying just shooting at "normal" focal lengths and appreciating the IQ of an APS-C sensor. Since that will be for my "serious" photography, I'm willing to accept an IQ hit for my "tourist" photography.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Maybe Sony will make a superzoom with the sensor in the new RX100.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Understood Luke. I too am attracted to the concept of the Superzoom like the XZ-1, HS30, FZ200, et all. In reality having the reach is wonderful for 'those moments' but not at the expense of size/weight and lens speed. My carrry-cameras all have f2.8 or faster primes or short zoom. When I do carry a Zoomie, it is one of my little 15x zoom Fuji F series.
    They are no much bigger than my phone!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I'm keen on the FZ200, too.

I doubt Leica would allow Panasonic to brand a lens as "Leica" if it were not at least good. I've been interested in the Fuji XS-1, but there have been enough QC issues that I'm hesitant, plus there are rumors that Fuji is dropping the XS line.

It seems like there is a real surge in the superzoom market.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    From your lips to Sony's ears! But would they be afraid that such a camera would cannibalize NEX & Alpha sales?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I would hope Sony wouldn't let fear of success make their decisions for them. They should be confident that "real" photographers would NEVER use a superzoom. :wink: Make the best compact, make the best superzoom, make the the best ILC and make the best DSLR and let people decide what type of camera they want. Heck there's plenty of people on this website that would buy one of each. Cannibalize, schnanibalize.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Just looked at pics of the FZ200, hmmmmm.
    Fast long zoom in a relatively small body...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    Thank God I'm not a "real" photographer! :happy-084: I've grown tired of schlepping around my DSLR & Sigma 170-500, too bulky and soooo conspicuous.

If I could get wildlife photos with a Panny FZ200 at ISO 100 that are fairly close to my Pentax K-x @ ISO 800, how could I resist?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Herman

Herman The Image Stimulator

Jul 11, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Herman
    Seems clear to me: weight and size matters. Also costs of extra lenses. What we need is a semi prof/amateur bridge camera with
    sealed body and lens. Price doesn't matter in the first place. One camera suits all needs-the new bridgecamera from ? I would pay up to 1000 bugs for it.

18. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ^ whilst your suggested camera sounds very nice indeed, I doubt your local camera store would very much appreciate you paying them with a thousand bugs. 1000 bucks might do the trick though :wink: sorry just couldn't resist after I imagined you paying with a bucketload of dead (or maybe even live) insects! :tongue::biggrin:

• Like Like x 3
  19. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Don't think I'll be giving this a second look. I'd love a *good* bridge camera but I think I have been spoilt by the IQ of the Pentaxes, and also the compacts I'm keeping (GRD3 and XZ-1). FZ100 and F550EXR have gone up on gumtree this morning.

• Like Like x 1
  20. snkenai

snkenai SC All-Pro

Oct 5, 2010
    kenai, AK
    Stephen Noel
    So, Luke, what are you using for your "serious" Photography. Somewhere along the way, I missed the transition.

• Like Like x 1