1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

ISO comparison: E-P5 versus E-PL2

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by rparmar, Feb 23, 2014.

1. rparmar

rparmar SC Regular

Jul 12, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    OK, so it's been done before, but with both cameras in my hands I have done a comparison of the ISO performance. I was more than pleasantly happy with the results.

It's just been posted over at the Theatre of Noise... an appropriately named blog as always!

• Like Like x 4
  2. rparmar

rparmar SC Regular

Jul 12, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Just had a real test of the E-P5, shooting a play from the audience using the Olympus 45mm. I shot at ISO 1600 so I had a good chance of freezing motion. Used only a tad of Lightroom's own built-in noise reduction, no sharpening, and a bit of S-curve contrast. Results were very impressive. The camera captured the colours and detail without objectionable noise. Also, the auto-focus was spot on.

I have never used a small camera with these capabilities.

12939305565_cca46bf05c_z.

12939708874_92e24611ec_z.

This is the Limerick Youth Theatre, a great initiative where professionals help younger people make full-scale productions. Colours in the second shot are muted as per the stage lighting.

For anyone hesitating on buying the E-P5 or one of the similar OM-D cameras I have only one word... DON'T!

[NOTE: posted same thread to MU-43.]

• Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Nice. This is a great example of where better technology helps the photographer make a better picture.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie SC Veteran

Jun 8, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Boo ... I am planning to hold on to my E-PL3, how dare you do this. :biggrin:

5. rparmar

rparmar SC Regular

Jul 12, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Indeed! Technology increases much faster than my talent at this point in life. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    Well, there had to be some reason that the E-P5 body sells for about 4-5 times what the E-PL2 body sells for nowadays.

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Well, I'd say the better sensor, 5-axis stabilization, 1/8000 shutter speed, compatibility with VF4 EVF, and other upgrades too numerous to mention and the fact that the EPL2 was long ago discontinued is a pretty reasonable explanation. An EP1 is probably even cheaper...

-Ray

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    Yes but an E-P1 will focus much more slowly than an E-PL2, and a firmware upgrade on the E-PL2 will allow it to use the VF-4.

9. Djarum

Djarum SC All-Pro

Jul 10, 2010
    Huntsville, AL
    Jason
    Are we talking E-P1 or E-P5 here?

10. rparmar

rparmar SC Regular

Jul 12, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Well, I was talking about the E-P5. I have no idea what Doug is talking about.

11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen SC Regular

Jan 10, 2014
    Ray Sachs brought the E-P1 into the conversation in the previous post - which I happened to quote within my post when I was specifically replying to it.