Sony iso3200 picture comparison between Fuji x100 and sony RX100

petemasty

Regular
The two attached photos are both at f2 3200ISO and are the central crop of both cameras. there has been no PP whatsoever. point of focus is on the white and yellow spine of the book in the centre of the picture.

RX100 is 1961 x 1775 pixels
X100 is 1611 x 1404

so, take a look and make your own conclusions.

Cheers

Attachments

• RX100 RAW central crop f2 3200iso.jpg
    RX100 RAW central crop f2 3200iso.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 1,455
  • X100 RAW central crop f2 3200iso.jpg
    X100 RAW central crop f2 3200iso.jpg
    390.8 KB · Views: 1,181
Thanks for posting- very interesting!

The Fuji is better, but Sony does well. Exposure is a bit different, the Fuji image is more ideally exposed. Noise pattern on the Sony is a bit strange in that it's uneven- at first I thought it was due to NR of in-camera JPEG. But otherwise it holds up well.

Can you post low ISO's for both too, so we can compare original sharpness on each? The Fuji image is sharper, I'm wondering if the Sony is losing detail due to noise or if it's due to higher MP count or lens sharpness, etc.

Thanks a lot for posting this. The RX100 does better than I would have expected, especially since the jpeg engine seem to be letting the sensor down here. In jpeg it's much worse than the X100 but in RAW I doubt the difference will be that big. And the RX100 has IS obviously, so for static subject that don't require much dynamic range...it'd be a close call I think. Very interesting.

madmaxmedia, look here : https://www.photographerslounge.org/f105/pictoral-comparison-between-rx100-fuji-x100-11985/

The Sony looks kinda smeary where the Fuji looks more grainy. That Sony sensor is better than it has a right to be, no doubt. I applied a bit of noise reduction to both (at the same setting), and it seemed to widen the gap, but I think that's because of the softer (more smeary) Sony image.

all pictures are completely free of post processing and are just RAW files exported as 16 bit jpegs. I must say I am very surprised at the performance of the Sony. Luke says it perfectly I think, the Sony sensor is much better than it has a right to be, but i also think the lens has a lot to do with it. I think the green tinge is the WB settings actually. the x100 is on AUTO while the RX100 is on daylight (for no other reason other than i forgot to set the RX100 to AUTO again. Just changed it over and it makes a helluva difference; pretty much the same colour cast as the X100.

Well i'm glad its been a worthwhile exercise gents.

Back