Istanbul

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by serhan, Sep 24, 2013.

1. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I started to process some of holiday photos from Istanbul taken w/ e-m5 & Pana 35-100mm. The sea shots taken on the ferry trip from Asia to Europe (polarizer+edited with VSCO velvia preset):

Haydarpasa Train Station
    original.

original.

Marmara Faculty of Medicine
    original.

Topkapi Palace
    original.

Blue Mosque, Aya Sofya (St Sofia) & Aya Irene
    original.

Ferry & Suleymaniye Mosque
    original.

Galata Tower
    original.

Maiden's Tower & Bosphorus Bridge
    original.

• Like Like x 7
  2. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    • Like Like x 7
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    E-M1?!?

Love seeing images of Istanbul; my favourite city.

• Like Like x 1
  4. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Nice shots! I like the second series a bit better, because it shows more of a human element. I think presentation-wise, mixing up the two series would be best. Still, very nice shots in the first series too :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks, Istanbul is a place where the east meets west:) I wish it was an e-m1, too many numbers mixing:)

6. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Thanks. I have more shots that haven't processed. This was a day trip. I had more street shots last year when I stayed there for 4 days, still need to process them. A few of the posted are here, maybe need to mix them:
    http://www.pbase.com/sc_20170/ist2012

My older shots were more architectural, now I am including more people. Bob Krist, NG photographer, was saying the same thing, when he was telling his first photo trip before his pro life... One from the boat:

original.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    What a wonderfully colorful place, serhan! I am particularly taken with #14 - the lovely and intricate building whose windows seem to be storing office supplies now?

• Like Like x 1
  8. fin azvandi

fin azvandi SC Veteran

Feb 22, 2012
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for sharing! I spent a month in Istanbul a few years back and I really want to go back...

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Amazing city, and very well shot. I was there for about a week once, over 30 years ago now, and I don't know that I'll ever get back. But I'd surely like to.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  10. Always been fascinated with this region.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    Nice shots but overprocessed, i.e. over sharpened for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I really like some of those images. Istanbul is a city I must visit one day.

-R

• Like Like x 1
  13. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    It is in the commercial area of old town, so I guess it was a house previously that is converted to a storage place now.

Old town doesn't change but the rest of the city does. Luckily my sister lives there, but it takes forever to get from one place to another. I was walking in my sister's neighborhood and first there was papa john, then dunkin donut, and a domino's pizza in addition to a few Starbucks, McDonalds, Burger Kings... Here are 2 shot shows the old and new, first one is Dolmabahce Palace:

original.

original.

Thanks. It definitely looks different at work screen compared to my home 15" laptop. I sharpened them after resize, maybe too much... I might stop that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I love people's travel photos, thanks for posting such a great set of colourful images :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Luckypenguin

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I'd check to see if your software is already applying resharpening when you downsize an image. When I resize an image from photoshop I have "bicubic sharpening" selected as a default.

• Like Like x 1
  16. serhan

serhan SC All-Pro

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    I see the "bicubic sharpening" option under resize. Mine was only "bicubic" w/o sharpening so I will use that option. Thanks.

17. Luckypenguin

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    In the case of using bicubic you were probably right to manually apply more sharpening after resizing. This link is a (very) brief description of the two resizing methods with some mouseover comparisons.

http://petapixel.com/2010/02/17/use-bicubic-sharper-for-web-resizing/

I've been happy with the results from having the bicubic resharpening option selected and not applying any further sharpening.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    A beautiful series and a fascinating city!

• Like Like x 1