1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

It does sports too

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by chromatin64, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Yes it does! These are very similar to some X100 panning shots I did at a local criterium a couple of months ago. Here are a couple with the background motion blurred from panning and one of the background held still and the cyclists mere ghosts as they pass through the frame...

I wasn't smart enough to think of this in good light - I just took some very traditional stop-action sports shots which ended up being fairly boring. But as the light got low and the shutter speeds had to drop, I started playing around with the same technique you did and that's when it got interesting...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5921136941/" title="DSCF0467 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="680" alt="DSCF0467"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5921701842/" title="DSCF0421 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="686" alt="DSCF0421"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/5925936682/" title="DSCF0497 by ramboorider1, on Flickr">"1024" height="685" alt="DSCF0497"></a>

• Like Like x 7
  2. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Russ and Ray,

Both sets are awesome!

Cheers,

Antonio

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nice work, a few keepers there.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lili

Lili SC Hall of Famer

Oct 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Lili
    Sweet Images the both of you!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    I think Russ's first B&W is pretty classic, but it sort of needs a steel bike frame and cloth cycling cap instead of a high tech carbon frame and helmet - that's the only giveaway that its not from some classic race back in the '50s or '60s.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  6. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    Ray's right, of course.

As an aside, cycling is a very photogenic sport - a bit of blur looks good. And bicycles themselves are things of beauty.

And I love Ray's first shot with the mysterious background - a mixture of motion blur and bokeh.

7. thekeddi

thekeddi SC Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    South Australia
    Lovely photos, must get out more to get some sporting photos one day :)

8. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    I think my favourite is the first of the second set, where you have one rider glancing over at another, and both of them with heads in focus whilst the rest is blurring. Well shot, all of them, but thats my fave.

9. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Man oh man! Great shots indeed the both of you!!!! :clapping: I'd never have thought I'd see an X100 documenting such an event, but the results have a better feel for the dynamism and ardour of the sport than any I've seen. I'm still a'gasp....

10. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Wonderful, Russ! Ray, you already knew I liked yours from before.

So even though you were shooting at 1/30th of a second at f/8, Russ, in #0250, you still managed to lock on to this bicycler! Obviously you both photographed the racers very well. Can you give us a few tips?

Love the feeling of speed!

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    I think the OVF really helps with panning, since you always see the subject in VERY real time. With an evf, there can be a little bit of lag. Not usually enough to matter, but with something like this, ANY lag can matter. I think you just have to stand there and try following the cyclist and pan with them and when you feel locked onto their pace, squeeze the shutter. I just looked at the exif on mine, and they're generally at 1/15 of a second. The one taken straight on where the racers are blurred and the background is still was at 1/60 - those guys are moving FAST and anything slower just left a ghost that you couldn't make out as a cyclist at all.

Oh, and there were a good number more misses than hits, so the panning isn't something that's gonna work all the time, so you just shoot a bunch and a few will surprise you. Its not like I had ANY idea which shots were gonna be keepers when I walked home from the race - it was only when I saw them come up on the computer that I could weed them out. The four or five panning and blurred shots I kept from that race probably came of 30-40 attempts. Probably not something I'd have tried much in the film days...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    :th_salute: Appreciate it, Ray.

13. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    As Ray said. And my 0.02$ - You can also pre-focus manually on a point that the subject is going to cross which helps with any shutter lag (minimal with the X, though). And imagine a pole running through your head to your toes and try to keep your centre (center :wink:) locked on that - no swaying or sideways movement.

• Like Like x 1
  14. chromatin64

chromatin64 SC Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    A Leekist in York, UK
    • Like Like x 2
  15. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I do like these - the colors are great, too. Are you using jpegs? Also thanks for the tips!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    Very nice! There's something really cool about having just the one guy nailed and motion blur on all of the others. When I found some of mine like that I wasn't sure how much of it was the variable speeds of the riders (maybe this guy was really slow?) or something to do with the others being somehow on a different axis as you pan. Whatever, its a really cool effect. I have a bit of it in some of mine, but its really stands out well in this one.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  17. wolfie

wolfie SC Veteran

Sep 19, 2010
    Great use of the equipment you have - especially like the third one, the panning is executed very well and the background colours set off the main subject beautifully.:2thumbs: