1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I've been snapped

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Ripleysbaby, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Ripleysbaby

Ripleysbaby supernatural anesthetist

Sep 9, 2011
    Cumbria UK
    Garry
    Coming back from Glasgow on the train last weekend I became aware I was the subject of another passengers photos.
    I don't know how many he shot off , but when I look over he quickly was doing something else. I thought this was quite amusing so I looked away. After about five minutes he was back at it. I could just make him out in the window reflection. I smiled to myself and let he get on with it. Who knows, he may have got a cracking shot.
    I'm not that comfortable taking pictures of others in this way, but I love some of the candid/street work others post here.
    Have ever been snapped ? Would you, do you mind ? What would be your limit regards length of lens used ?
    I guess some things would be obvious like if you were out with your family.
    Is it acceptable or not ?
    Me, I'm not sure i really care. In fact sometimes I feel flattered. I even think how could I make the shot better for them.
    Btw. He was shooting with an iPhone. I know they can take great images.
    Cheers all.

2. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    I've probably been snapped. I was walking in NYC one day with my wife and was doing a bit of street shooting myself (although lazily - I do much better and more involved shooting when I'm alone) when she informed me that another photographer shot us. I missed it but she didn't. As long as I'm in a public place, I figure anyone that's free to look at me (everyone) is free to photograph me. That's how I approach my own shooting so it would be the height of hypocracy to object if someone was shooting me. I try to be discrete about my shooting and don't like the photographers who get in people's faces to elicit a reaction, so I might be pissed if Bruce Gilson picked me out of a crowd to shoot/harass, but as long as the shooter isn't too obnoxious about it, I'd be fine with it.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I never mind. I'm no George Clooney. So I'm at least am fairly certain that if someone is taking my photo, it's because they have a story to tell. They aren't taking a shot because I'm so freakish looking they need to share it with their friends.

I occasionally snap shots of strangers if they fit with a scene (or if they are a story unto themselves). Just recently, I've actually begun asking strangers if I may take their photo (when their cooperation will make a better picture). It's not always easy, but so far everyone has said yes.

• Like Like x 1