1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

I've decided to start Butterfly and bug photography

Discussion in 'Nature' started by BillN, May 30, 2014.

1. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Birds - I'm getting a bit "sick" of them - they hardly ever stand still and they never pose in the correct position or accept my directions, so I am going to add Butterfly and Bug photography to my repertoire, (may as well use a frog word)……… this should keep me out of my wife's way for most of the day.

Just marshalling, (may as well use an "american" - well not really, word), my assets and hope to start soon

Just got the Collins Book and waiting my the Dragonfly/damselfly one

Any "bug" fanatics on here ………….this guy seems to do well …….. Brian Valentine, (not sure if he is related to Shirley……. UK will know who I'm referring to and BB will look it up …….. if you have one and three quarter hours to spare the film is on Utubby, it's amusing ….. watch it late at night and it will help you to sleep ….. or in the afternoon if you like the occasional nap, or when you are flicking through Paul's dreamy unsharpe creations)

http://abduzeedo.com/beautiful-macro-photography-brian-valentine

Keep well, summer's coming, I hope

• Like Like x 3
  2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Hmm, yes, butterflies and other insects, they sit there, still as you like, just waiting for you to grab the perfect shot ...

3. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Yes, but will be mostly in France and like all good frogs, if there's a good meal about they won't leave until they have finished

anyway I'll spray them with a little tranquilliser

Morning and late evening when it's cold - I've been told

4. kyteflyer

kyteflyer ~@¿@~

Jan 31, 2011
    Newcastle, Australia
    Sue
    Oz knows, too. "Hello Wall!"

Looking forward to your bugs. I have a friend who shoots bugs and fungi. Lots of them.

5. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Sue, I think that they were married in real life ……. but the Julie Walters remake is also good

6. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    And you think birds don't co-operate, just you wait and see :biggrin:

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    if ya get to 'em early in the morning while it's still cool, they're usually quite still.

8. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    It all started with that singapore month thread

9. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    Here's the first but I took it with my birding lens - 300mm with a x2TC
    so 600mm at f5.6 and ISO 1600 from a distance

abysmal would be the comment if I posted it on a "proper" insect forum … I need to get a proper lens - a Nikon AF-S 105mm f2.8 VR etc and make a ring flash, (that should be interesting if I attempt it!!!)

Barrie will know it's "insect" name

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Hey Bill, Luke is right, if the bugs are cool they don't move as much, particularly the flying ones that don't hold still long. Butterflies love to sun. So when you photograph them, make sure not to step into their sunlight or they may flit off. Barrie is right, bugs do not cooperate but if you are set up to shoot bugs, you can pretty much macro anything else as well, keep yourself busy until a bug decides not to be camera shy. I haven't been all that successful with them but also am not very patient either. I didn't look at that photographers video, but generally when you get that close to insects (like he is in the main photo) they check out. Usually need a longer lens, then you can step back and not disturb them but still get close enough. Or maybe you are like my daughter, the bee charmer. Bugs don't seem to flee from her.

11. grebeman

grebeman Old Codgers Group

Jul 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Bill, I'd go with Common Blue Damselfly, however for you guys in continental Europe there are a great number more species to pick from, so a lot of your captures are likely to be outside my scope of experience. For this one the main key lies in the antehumeral stripes. I'll leave you to find out what they are, but take it from me, they're important.

Barrie