I've got them mean-old G-A-S blues . . .

Jock Elliott

Hall of Famer
X100S, X20, now the the GRDV . . . it's enough to drive me around the bend . . .

but I think I have a solution: THE CAMERA OF THE MONTH CLUB!

That's right: for a not-very-modest fee, every month we'll send you the latest and greatest digital imaging making toy for you to fondle, admire, show-off, and -- if you're really out there -- actually take pictures with before we send you the latest and greatest at the end of the month . . .

I think it is a concept that could work, no?

Cheers, Jock

Why not just rent a camera each month from lensrentals. I also remember hearing about another rental place that was a bit cheaper than LR, though I never did try them. Anyone else have other cam/lens rental faves?

Well, if you really only want 'em for a month each and you don't have any moral scruples (or if you can put 'em aside), you could just buy a different camera from Amazon every month, return it just before 30 days are up, and start over. They might eventually rescind the privilege, but they're a really big company, so they might never even notice. I would not personally do that, but their policy has inspired me to try a few cameras I wouldn't have tried otherwise. I've kept some and returned some (well before a month - I can usually tell within a few days if something's a keeper or not). If used that way, I think the policy works for both me and them - i KNOW it works for me and I can't imagine they'd keep doing it if it didn't work for them. If you're not a bricks and mortar store where people can walk in and try something out, you need to compensate somehow...

Not that I'm recommending this approach to the camera a month idea!

-Ray

Great idea Ray. I'm going to do that from now on!! It'll be called the "Ray Rental Method"! Pay the Amazon Prime membership and get the "rental" equipment in two days at no additional cost. But wait, if you sign up in the next 15 minutes you will also receive this amazing camera strap that also doubles as a dog leash. Just pay for the shipping and handling. While supplies last. Call now. 1-900-RAY-RENTL.

Amazon's return policy is indeed a very smart way to entice customers to try different models. I never used it much, let alone abuse it, but I now feel more comfortable ordering from them with the possibilty not to keep. That's what I did with the SEL50/1.8, and I was very happy to be able to return it. There's zero guilt involved with a lens, which doesn't get "actuations" dialed in, as a body would.
If there were a company in France offering reasonably priced rentals with shipping, I'd definitely use them a lot.

Amazon's return policy is indeed a very smart way to entice customers to try different models. I never used it much, let alone abuse it, but I now feel more comfortable ordering from them with the possibilty not to keep. That's what I did with the SEL50/1.8, and I was very happy to be able to return it. There's zero guilt involved with a lens, which doesn't get "actuations" dialed in, as a body would.
If there were a company in France offering reasonably priced rentals with shipping, I'd definitely use them a lot.

I did hear that Amazon eventually black lists if someone buys and returns too often. I've done it many times, but have also kept thousands in Amazon stuff. I haven't been black listed (yet).

I did hear that Amazon eventually black lists if someone buys and returns too often. I've done it many times, but have also kept thousands in Amazon stuff. I haven't been black listed (yet).

Good to know. I haven't done it MANY times, but certainly a few, maybe verging on several??? But I spend so much money there - I probably keep them afloat on Kindle books alone, they'd have to be crazy to send me packing...

-Ray

Good to know. I haven't done it MANY times, but certainly a few, maybe verging on several??? But I spend so much money there - I probably keep them afloat on Kindle books alone, they'd have to be crazy to send me packing...

-Ray

Likewise.

I was going to stop shopping at Amazon when they started collecting sales tax from Texas residents. But alas, I did not. But I did slow down a bit!

-Ray

Amazon will definitely blacklist you if you return too much, but I think that it's interpreted relative to how much you keep. Basically, if you are costing them money (net), they will probably blacklist you.

Back