1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

J&R Music and Computer World Closes NYC Store

Discussion in 'News and Rumors' started by Biro, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This may not resonate as much with non-metro New Yorkers but J&R Music and Computer World (which also sold a lot of cameras) has closed its store in downtown Mahattan after 43 years. Still, they used to run newspaper ads in major newspapers across the country so they had a lot of mail, phone and, in later years, Internet orders. Apparently, they will continue to do business online and via Amazon.com.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-...s-after-43-years-as-lower-manhattan-icon.html

I loved their old building on Park Row downtown. A really interesting place with a lot of atmosphere, even if my wife thought it was kinda creepy. I wish the Friedmans the best of luck.

• Like Like x 2
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    I'm sad to read this, and wish I could say I was surprised. Don't I remember them having a big store on the Upper West Side in the 70s and early 80s?

3. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I can get nostalgic about a corner mom and pop shop going out of business. That place was a behemoth. I'm fairly certain that they made a lifetime of income in their heyday.

4. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    J&R had some great television commercials, too. Edgy stuff that wouldn't work anywhere else but in New York...

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjAFwahIqFU[/video]

5. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    Now THAT was funny. We had a chain of record stores here in the 80s with the same logo. I assume it was the same place, but maybe not. They were everywhere...every mall had one. I remember cruising the cut-out bins for bargains while I checked out the girls in acid washed jeans.

6. Sad, but the times we live in

7. pniev

pniev Student for life

Jun 10, 2013
    Thanks for the news. Well, they lasted longer than the MP3 player I bought at J&R a long time ago. Perhaps they should have studied BHphotovideo.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Yeah, before internet shopping was easy (or maybe even possible - hard to remember but it wasn't long ago), I used to get their catalog and some of my very occasional electronic purchases came from them. Never saw the store though, and never had any emotional attachment to the place.

-Ray