Leica Jacob Aue Sobol and the Leica M Monochrom

stillshunter

Super Moderator Emeritus
Name
Mark
Loved the recent copy (04/2012) of LFI with reviews of the M-Monochrom, new "Cron APO 50/2 and portfolio of Jacob Aue Sobol's work. Anyone interested in either of these three or combinations therein might also enjoy this...

[video=vimeo;42305451]

Well, I'm excited about this camera. What I'm really looking forward to using on the M9 monochrome is the older lenses, made in a time when Black and White was the norm. First lens on it will be an uncoated Sonnar. My personal opinion on the APO Summicron- "overkill" for a monochrome camera. It's a feat of optical engineering, and the engineers that designed it must be very satisfied being allowed to produce it. But it remonds me of a time when I was a manager, and one of my optical engineers was fretting over the precision of the polynomial coefficients going into formulating the aspheric surfaces of a lens for an IR camera. Basically told him, "It's only a 320x200 resolution camera, it just doesn't matter". I gave him the 9mm F1.2 lens from a Kodak Ektasound 130 that I bought at a thrift store for a $1.

Back