Japanese manufacturers "rule the world" till now...

Herman

The Image Stimulator
Name
Herman
but will they stay doing because of the nuclear disaster?
Will you purchase new gear though this gear might be been opposed to radiation.
I'm sure the government will ensure radiation level will be acceptable and not be harmful at all.

Yes I think Japan's manufacturers will continue to be hugely successful. All around my house are Japanese made products. Parked in the driveway is our Japanese made car. Right now I'm in the market for a new TV (currently looking at Toshiba), a new printer (currently looking at Canon) and whatever goodies Sony can come up with for the NEX. One of the ironies of this situation is that the loss of growth as a result of the disaster will probably be offset by the effect of huge levels of public spending on reconstruction.

Herman, let's not get carried away here. Japan remains a major player in industry. I also need to ask that we refrain from speculation about what effects the nuclear disaster that the country is dealing with will have.

Everyone let us limit ourselves with regard to the earthquake, etc., impact - unless it is specific to particular camera manufacturer and their press releases.

If you have something specific on a particular camera maker that's fine, but we cannot get into a discussion here on Serious Compacts about the scientific ramifications of the disaster.

Thanks for understanding Herman, and everyone else. I do know you have the country and the people's best interests at heart. We all are, I am sure, following the news on the country.

We live in a global era, Japanese companies are now spread out across the globe not only marketing wise but also product/software research, development and manufacturing wise. For example, a lot of Nikon products are being made in Thailand, many Canon products are being made in China and some of the software that runs in Canon products is being developed in India. The earthquake may have hit a few production facilities but I am not sure if the loss to any of the big camera manufacturers is significant. And seeing the way the people of Japan reacted to the tragedy, my respect for Japanese products has only increased after the earthquake.

Thanks for your replies, I don't intend to move into a polical discussion or whats so ever, but some people might take the dicision not to buy / purchase Japanese gear for some time.
Mm we drive Suzuki, I take pictures with Panny G1, I have pre ordered Bloggie from Sony, laptops from Toshiba (as well as samsung), laserprinter from Brother, watches from Seiko,
mobile phones, etc...
My next motorcycle: mmm...maybe Italian or...Japanese!

Herman, I heard that a radiated camera would be good in low light.

I remember here in PA, USA, when Three Mile Island started acting up..... We were all very worried about radiation etc.
The disaster in Japan tops that by a million fold. I can't even watch CNN anymore as it freaks me out. I''m experiencing it on TV and the Japanese are living it... You can imagine how important a Fuji X100 is to them.....etc.

I pray for the people in Japan. I couldn't give a hoot about cameras, cars etc until all is back to a calm safe state....

Back