1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jumpers on a Harvard Bridge

Discussion in 'Fuji X100 Forum' started by KillRamsey, Aug 1, 2013.

1. KillRamsey

KillRamsey SC Hall of Famer

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Oh, to be 20-something and stupid again. More for the story than for the photos...

Last night a friend and I went out shooting film, going up along the Charles River in Cambridge alongside Harvard. When we got to the pedestrian bridge, I heard a lot of laughing and carrying on, and said "I think they're jumping off." Sure enough, when I looked around the edge at the water, I saw heads bobbing. They were very friendly and didn't mind me chasing them around with the X100. Shot at ISO6400 so there's plenty-o-grain, but they were fidgety and moving so much that anything else meant a flash and/or blurring. Well, More blurring.

The John Weeks bridge... I heard laughter.
    [​IMG]

A swimmer emerged.
    [​IMG]

Posing for a cellphone pic.
    [​IMG]

Leaning out.
    [​IMG]

I loved the backlighting.
    [​IMG]

Had to use a flash for the jump. Wasn't really strong enough.
    [​IMG]

Anywho... how often do you happen upon such a neat thing to get shots of? I should've gotten closer, they certainly didn't care.

2. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Oh and these were all shot on manual, f2 at 1/4 second I believe. Mostly propped on some other part of the bridge.

3. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Nice! I'm 20-something, but not jumping off bridges often enough (or at all) I'm afraid!

[that's not to say I'm not stupid, though, but I'll leave that for others to judge!]

4. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Well get out there, strip down, and go for it. Nothing like cute girls in their underwear to get you motivated. Hell I almost had a National Lampoon's moment myself...

[​IMG]

"This is crazy, this is crazy, this is crazy..."

5. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ^ as soon as my thesis is done, I'll run around the city naked and jump into any body of water I see - cute girls or not! :wink:

6. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Bring a camera (and point it away from yourself).

7. Stan

Stan SC Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    California
    Stan
    Looks crazy. I hope they didn't drink the water.

8. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    That last one in the first post is neat. I like the motion effect. Did you have a flash?

9. KillRamsey

Jun 20, 2012
    Cambridge, MA
    Kyle
    Just the built-in flash. I wish I'd had more. I've been wanting a speed light I can hold in one hand and shoot with the other, but none has magically appeared on my doorstep.