Just a little fun with two very different cameras

NightBird

Regular
Name
Darren
Just a little fun comparing a couple of very different camera systems... I was bored at the time. Not trying to make much of a point. I found these shots and thought I'd post them before I permanently deleted them.

OK, I know you can probably cheat this (Try not to). I think it's pretty obvious at a glance for two reasons. One of these was taken with the Fuji X-Pro1 & XF 35mm 1.4, and the other with a Nikon V1 & 18.5mm 1.8. Given the different sensor / lenses (about the same field of view @50mm FF Equiv.), I tried to match the Bokeh with relevant apertures as best I can. Guess which is which and why you think so. I thought it fun as I had forgotten which was which after deleting them from my Lightroom catalog.

I'll post the answer after a little while..

11337910144_ee458c4b21_b.jpg

11337883486_32ec688f32_b.jpg

The bottom one is the fuji, because the Bokeh circles are not perfectly round, meaning, you've stopped the aperture a couple of stops to match the less shallow DOF of the Nikon 1 combo. Bokeh circles in the 1st picture are perfectly round, because it was shot wide open. And the noise pattern is indicative of the 10MP 1" Sensor in the V1.

Do I get a cold beer for my accurate guessing work? :cool:

That's a great explanation IVN. I probably wouldn't have picked the shape of the Bokeh as an obvious give away. Next time your in Sydney, I'll buy you a couple of great beers!

Seems like people were divided, but the V1 is #1, X-Pro #2. The two things that gave it away for me were the noise pattern / less smooth bokeh (But I didn't recognise the shape like IVN found). I tinkered with the Nikon's picture controls to improve the typically neutral colour signature explaining BruPri's comments. I personally find the standard film simulation on the Fuji a bit flat as well, and would normally use Astia or ProNeg.

Viewed or printed large, it's even more obvious the Fuji has some IQ advantages, so I'm not ready to sell it yet, but all credit to the great little V1 that always punches high. The 18.5 is great Sue, I'm sure you'll love it.

Back