Just curious? EXIF data...

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by MrDoug, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Just curious why some folks make their EXIF photo data unavailable to others on Flickr? Etc. Are they not open to sharing or are they hiding something? I compare it to going fishing, and not wanting to tell the guy next to you what kind of bait you are using. When I see that I wonder :smile:

2. pdh

pdh SC Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Do you really believe that by examining someone's exif data you'll discover what made their photograph a good one?

3. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    When I uploaded an iPhone image to Flickr a while back, I noticed that viewers could see the exact location where the photo was taken (my house on that occasion).

Disabling EXIF data for uploaded images stopped that happening, so I wonder if other people have done the same thing?

-R

4. I know I upload through Blogger which does not include EXIF.

Others simply may not care to share these details seeing them as not important to others.

Still others, as Richard says may not want to share.

5. Richard

Richard SC Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2013
    Marlow, UK
    I was happy to share camera settings, but I thought that revealing the exact location of images taken in my home (or the homes of friends and family) was a potential security risk.

If I could just turn off the location information, I would leave the other EXIF data intact. Alternatively, I would be happy to turn EXIF data on for my RX100, but leave it off for my iPhone, but I don't think Flickr allows you to do that easily.

-R

6. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    some pp programs wipe out exif info

7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Sometimes it gets stripped somewhere along the way, sometimes I just don't feel like answering questions about a piece of gear. Usually I leave it on, but I turn it off at times too.

-Ray

8. Lightmancer

Lightmancer Super Moderator

Aug 13, 2011
    Sunny Frimley
    Bill Palmer
    I can't remember the last time I looked at the EXIF of a photo I liked. I'm more interested in the painting than the pigments.

• Like Like x 2
  9. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    I think anyone with a working understanding of the exposure triangle doesn't need the exif info to understand how the photo was made. effective focal length might be useful, but once you know that, you can pretty much figure out the rest by looking at the image. Well, shutter speed might be useful too in some cases with fast movement or deliberate blur. Other than that, I view exif info as a tool for judging a camera's capabilities, not for learning to take photos.

10. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I don't want others to work out the details of my chronsynclastic electroZone exposure system. I suspect Polly is getting close . . .