Nikon Just Ordered that 18.5mm

And now I just can't wait for it to arrive. I want it NOW. Also saving for the 32mm.

Also... what do people think of the 10-100 (not the video specific one, the other, regular version)?
I don't have it, but many people on the forums seem to think that it is an above average super zoom, but still worse than a 10-30 + 30-110 combination. Mainly because 30-110 is very good for a telephoto kit zoom. The 10-100 is built much better, of course.

If I had Nikon 1, the 18.5mm would be one of my most favorite lenses, because I just love the normal lenses. The 10-100mm is said to be one of the best super zooms by some people and there is a member of the biggest German Nikon forum who collects Nikon gear and says that it's the best super zoom made by Nikon he has ever shot with. Since his opinions are usually well informed, I would not hesitate buying the lens, if I wanted to buy a super zoom.

If I had Nikon 1, the 18.5mm would be one of my most favorite lenses, because I just love the normal lenses. The 10-100mm is said to be one of the best super zooms by some people and there is a member of the biggest German Nikon forum who collects Nikon gear and says that it's the best super zoom made by Nikon he has ever shot with. Since his opinions are usually well informed, I would not hesitate buying the lens, if I wanted to buy a super zoom.

He may be talking about the other superzoom which is also 10-100... its designed specifically for video use and is a lot more expensive.

Cool cool cool! Looking forward to pics! The 18.5 really makes the V1 sing.

Trouble is, I may have to wait for weeks to get it. I made the order the other day simply because they had a "Boxing Day Special" which means I can get it to my door for $40 less than if I buy RRP locally. Its coming from Sydney, but they are still subject to the same issues my local store had, and that is lack of stock. Its a royal PITA.

He may be talking about the other superzoom which is also 10-100... its designed specifically for video use and is a lot more expensive.
No, I was referring to the non PD version. It is above average, what I mean by that, is that it is good for a super zoom. But IQ wise it still can't compete with two shorter zooms.

In the German DSLR-Forum.de some users have tried both and think that the PD version (the one optimized for video) is much better optically.

No, I was referring to the non PD version. It is above average, what I mean by that, is that it is good for a super zoom. But IQ wise it still can't compete with two shorter zooms.

In the German DSLR-Forum.de some users have tried both and think that the PD version (the one optimized for video) is much better optically.

Lol thanks Ivan, but I was addressing my remarks at Pictor... IN any case, I wont be getting any of them until I have my 18.5 in hand, and then the 32. Unless, of course, I decide in the meantime to sell it all. I *may* sell the J1 kit, that means I'll have to rebuy the 10mm, because it came in the kit.

Update: I had to cancel the order from the Sydney store, neither they nor their supplier could give any indication of when the lens might arrive. I decided to bite the bullet in spite of the exchange rate not favouring purchases from the USA, and the lens arrived this morning. I rang the local store just out of curiosity and they still have NO idea when it might be available out here. So, no regrets about the additional cost and fingers crossed nothing happens to it because sending it back would be a PITA. I also got some cheapo filters (UV, CPL and ND8, Vivitar brand) just to keep dust off the front element and also just in case I want to do anything fancy-schmantzy (like the impressions challenge).

Anyway, without further ado, the first 18.5mm shot. Just the feel of the lens is enough for me to want to keep it on the camera. I think the zooms may have a longish rest.

Of course, its ... Tom! He wasnt in the mood for posing so its just the ear.

12109458944_1f224098d5_b.jpg

I have a very large grin plastered all over my face. What a pest I cannot get out much at the moment. Still... One never knows.

Back