Sony Just pulled the trigger on A7. Which NEX lenses can I use?

Name
Andy
As title, I have just bought a Sony A7 and I have a couple MF lenses to be getting on with. I was wondering which NEX lenses can I use direct onto the camera. I have seen the 24mm f1.8 on an A7. Any others that won't vignette too much?

Thanks

A7 family has a apsc crop mode (off/on/auto). On the a7 u get about 10-11mp and 15 on the a7r. I never looked up what an a7s would be.. I played w/ off just for grins on my 16-50... For example, the image circle at 16mm setting is about maybe 18 after crop. The 16-50 is not the greatest lens out there. Center is good, edges are decent to barely ok (ymmv). For what is use it for it is fine.

Personally, I just set it to auto crop mode. Your best bang for the buck is the sigma e mount art series (at this moment, I can't remember if I tried it on my a7).

I really don't plan to use any of my old e mount lenses on the a7, normally. I have one fe mount lens, the 35f2.8. Probably the only one I am going to own for a while. Nex 5n and now the a7 is my universal digital back for my legacy lenses. I don't like the fe zooms so far.. The 55f1.8 is the better of the two fixed lenses, but since I am more of a 40mm fov type, I would rather shoot 35 and crop as need up to 50mm fov.

Have fun with it Andy
Gary

you can use any of the E mount lenses but there is a noticeable vignette to the point I reckon you're better off adapting lenses or saving up for the FE ones....

an example, the 50mm f1.8 that I've tried wasn't as bad as this but enough for me that it's not worth the loss of megapixels
mount-cr__large.jpg

Mounting Confusion: De-mystifying Sony lens mounts

All the older apsc nex lenses vignette on A7. Usually I found you can use it as 1.3x as long as corner sharpness is not that important. So you have to look for newer E-Mount full frame lenses if you want native lenses. Current lenses are Sony Zeiss 35mm 2.8, 55mm 1.8, 24-70mm f/4 zoom and 70-200 f/4 zoom. You can also use an Sony A mount lenses with Sony af adapter but they are too big to consider. According to SAR, bunch of new lenses will be announced at Photokina, both by Sony and Zeiss:

(SR5) Huge Zeiss announcement coming soon! E-mount owners will love it :) - sonyalpharumors
(SR5) Trusted sources about Sony at Photokina: Focus will be on lenses and not so on cameras! - sonyalpharumors

16-35mm f/4 is coming for sure and maybe a 85mm prime will be released as it was on the Sony lens map as a wide angle zoom and prime for this year.

I have the emount Sigmas 30 and 60. I removed the rear baffles(3 screws). Combined with LR profiles they produce images that can be cropped to approx 1.25x.
Perfect for family snaps.
For the use and the price I'm finding them quite fun and effective.

Luke

I am mainly a legacy lens user on the Sony camera body and only have the one FE (full frame E mount), the 35f2.8. The Nikon line has both the dx and fx branded lenses for a very long time. The Sony E and FE mount are the equivalent designations... I assume he is hoping that the image circle of some of the e mount lenses are big enough to use on the a7... I came across a utube video a couple of months ago where someone was showing that certain E mount lenses had enough image circle (some vignetting - correctable by LR). All I can remember right now is that one of them was the super wide zoom.. Anyway my reply to Andy was in that context.

One of the main issues w/ Sony until recently - they produce more new camera bodies every year then number of new lenses. They seem to be changing that philosophy in recent years and everyone is hoping that Sony will show what they have in store on the lens roadmap at photokina along w/ third party lens makers. They have a decent lens selection these days in e mount. Their fe mount selection is weak, but that is expected give newest the a7 family. It is no different then Fuji when it announce the xp1. Just the strategy is different, Fuji day one attacked w/ 3 primes while Sony came w/ 1 prime and 1 zoom followed immediately w/ another prime and zoom (is I remember correctly).

Gary

It is too bad that Sony does not support more aspect ratios. I would like to c 4:3 and 1:1. On certain e mount lenses, the worst of the e mount image circle are at outer edges and corners of a 3:2 aspect ratio. The top edges are fine. Even if u use raw image file, there are photo processing sw which will automatically honor the in camera aspect ratio. So no additional step would be necessary in post processing.

I was actually surprise not seeing those additional aspect ratios available for normal shooting..

Gary

The only lenses I have for it at the moment are a Helios 44/2 58mm f/2 Russian lens and a Konika Hexanon AR 40mm f/1.8 lens. They both work well but I am now looking for a 35mm as this is my preferred focal length. I would also like to keep size down so the Samyang may be out although I love Samyang!! My options (In budget) are Sony FE 35mm f/2.8 (Prefer f/1.4!) Voigtlander 35mm f/1.4, Samyang 35mm f/1.4 E-Mount or a Nikon 35mm f/2D. The Nikon would be by far the cheapest option but not sure how good it will be on the A7. What would you get and any further suggestions would be good. Budget is about £500. Thanks

Nikon 35mm f/2D. The Nikon would be by far the cheapest option but not sure how good it will be on the A7.

The first 4 pictures are made with a Nikon 35mm/2D: Visionen » Kirmes bald wieder in der Stadt
Of course I wouldn't say it has the quality of a Sigma 35mm/1.4 Art or a Samyang 35mm/1.4. With open aperture it has a light vignette and lesser marginal sharpness. But it is very light and small in comparison.

I prefer the rf lenses due to smaller sizes. I got a good deal on a Nikon 35mm 1.4 but it is big esp with an adapter compared to CV 35mm 1.4. There are also contax zeiss g lenses but 35mm f2 is not their strong lens, though it might work stopped down. Contax g 45mm/90mm are their best and also cheaper then 35mm. I just received the contax g af adapter (ver III) and it is much faster. I have to check its accuracy. Maybe you can wait until Zeiss announcements but I don't know if they will be cheap. Here is their teaser:
http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/

I got it from mxcamera:
http://www.deo-tech.com/products/product-01/
主頁

I see that they have it in ebay also. You need ver III. I had ver I and was working with nex 6 but short-circuited the A7R (2 of them) due to larger opening. Ver III also is much faster. Even if you don't use the af, the manual focus is much easier also as it is motor supported.

Where did u gear the contax af adapter, Serhan?

I agree the contax G 45 and 90 are really good. I use them w/ the metabones adapter.

Gary

I am missing the 35/2.8 and thinking about picking one up again when they go on sale. Snappy AF with the A7, super compact, great sharpness (into corners, stopped down, on the copy I had w/ A7) and very good CA control.

You got lucky:
First Zeiss Loxia will be a 35mm f/2.0 and 50mm f/2.0 lens

We'll see the prices & sizes later. I would prefer a wide prime like 24mm since Sony has already covered these 2 primes but I guess they release nearly same primes like nex & Touit....

Huh, I was also hoping for a 24mm. 35mm and 50mm seem like odd first choices for Zeiss given the SZeiss 35/2.8 and 55/1.8.

I am missing the 35/2.8 and thinking about picking one up again when they go on sale. Snappy AF with the A7, super compact, great sharpness (into corners, stopped down, on the copy I had w/ A7) and very good CA control.

This is what I have decided to go with. The reviews I have seen really do favour this lens and DP review say at f5.6-f11 the sharpness is off the chart!!! That's good enough for me! (y)

Back