K-01 becomes prime camera

Discussion in 'Pentax K-01 Forum' started by wrangler, May 26, 2013.

1. wrangler

wrangler SC Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    SW Minnesota
    Dennis Ulrich
    I bought the K-01 as a cheap backup body to my K110D. I have been totally seduced by the IQ and features of the brick. Yesterday I took the batteries and memory card out of the old SLR. It will make a fine backup.

2. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Congratulations. It's interesting how time and technology move on, isn't it? I've had the K-01 since late last year and it's quite a camera. I love not only its image quality but its relative simplicity of operation. I suspect you'll be breaking out the K110D when you shoot in bright sunlight, unless you have another camera for things like that.

I just ordered a K-30 body that will join my Pentax kit that includes the K-01 and K-5. The K-30 offers sharper imaging and slghtly better auto-focus performance over the K-5, and I have the option of using AA battery power, which is very useful. I own compacts and micro four-thirds gear as well. But I'm not quite ready to give up the more-traditional Pentax kit just yet.

3. wrangler

wrangler SC Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    SW Minnesota
    Dennis Ulrich
    I have a Delkin Hood to shade the LCD in bright light. So far, that has served me well.

I have just the two Digital cameras, so there are no other alternatives. We'll see how this goes!

4. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    It's a wonderful device, I really enjoy mine.

Do you have the yellow one?

5. wrangler

wrangler SC Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    SW Minnesota
    Dennis Ulrich
    I'm a curmudgeon, cameras are supposed to be black and silver. When I bought mine, yellow cost $10.00 more, so I have the black one!

6. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I got yellow, because it's the most iconic.*

*Also, that seems to be the one the haters most villify, so I couldn't resist!

7. wrangler

wrangler SC Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    SW Minnesota
    Dennis Ulrich
    Different strokes, and all that. I have a hard time spending any extra for color. Silly, I know, I bought the thing for about a third of original list. Even the yellow one would have been one of the better buys I have ever made.

8. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    I think the yellow one should make a bumblee buzzing sound ;)

9. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Chris's example plays "Flight of the Bimble Bee." :biggrin:

10. wrangler

wrangler SC Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    SW Minnesota
    Dennis Ulrich
    They don't?!?. Maybe what I'm hearing is the auto focus!

11. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    That's just all the Pentax lenses!

12. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I actually paid less for yellow than the black one, I don't know why... but yeah, I wouldn't have paid more just for a color. The images it produces are really something, such a deal! :biggrin:

Are "Bimble" Bees the stupid ones? If so, it would be appropriate for my K-01 to play that...

Good ol' Pentax screwmount... what you're hearing is "feedback"!