Pentax K-01 walk-about handy combo

Steve Noel

In Memorium
This setup is one of the handiest combos for my "woods and field" trips. Few years ago, I bought the Pentax reversing ring that screws into the filter threads, and allows reversing the lens to allow "macro" with about any lens. Effect depends on the lens used. I never really used it until lately on the K-01 and the 50mm. It had a 52mm thread and none of my lenses did. So bought a 49-52 adapter ring, and this combo became a great simple, "one piece" unit to carry. No changing filters etc., to get a close-up. Liberating! Quick flip and you are ready. And as a bonus, it makes a pretty fair hood.

The 50mm on the K-01 does decent close focus. With the lens reversed there is a fair amount of adjustment in image size with the focus ring. With my "crippled" -M 50mm, the aperture is fully adjustable. This is great for large blooms down to very small ones, bugs etc.

mounted
K-01_Reversing.jpg

And reversed
K-01_Reversed.jpg

This setup is one of the handiest combos for my "woods and field" trips. ....

My goodness that is an interesting setup :)
Could we see a shot taken with it reversed ?
I see you have leathered the shutter button, I was wondering what to do with the it's poor feel !
Shame how many design fails on this great camera
Pete

Macro Reversed

Here are a few quick and dirty comparisons. Lighting was less than great, except for the purple flower.
The stamps were shot on tripod and 2 second delay.
The flower was hand held, braced against the knees of a unsteady old man, also with 2 second delay.
Perfect? No. But cheap and usable.

Note: PP was in PS. Re-size, auto levels, sharpen. No cropping. These are all full frame shots, to see actual combo ability. (Quality limited by operator!)

At the closest focus of the Pentax-M 50mm F1.7 on the Pentax K-01.
4Stamps.jpg

The rest with the lens reversed.
4_Stamps.jpg

Stamps_and_Quarter.jpg

Purple1.jpg

Looks a bit wonky, but is it about what we look like, or at? :)

Another great thing is that the lens rear cap, now makes a great front cap, whether the lens is mounted forward or backwards. And it is so easy for old fumbly fingers to handle.

Back