1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kathy

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Rick Waldroup, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Kathy - Miami Beach - Summer, 1977

The camera was a Nikon F2 with a 50mm 1.4 lens. The film was Tri-X.

p65016171-5.

• Like Like x 10
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I love the look. I've shot more Tri-X than I want to remember. It was always my favorite B&W film.

3. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I shot Tri X for years and years. Toward the end of my film days, I switched over to Fuji Neopan 400.

4. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I like the timeless look of the photo. If you didn't tell me it was taken in 1977, I would've assumed it was taken yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Love it! Something here digital just can't do.

6. Agreed

• Like Like x 2
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I think digital could get a very similar look but with all the filter options available styles have shifted. The high contrast B&W look is definitely popular, but this shot really shows the difference between grain and noise. I've never really tried any of the digital filters that produce the grain effect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks to all for the comments.

I waited quite a while before I transitioned to digital capture. Mostly because 99.9% of my personal work is in B&W and I could not get the look I wanted with digital. Eventually, software improved, my digital processing skills improved a bit, and I finally made the move. I process my digital B&W images pretty much the way I worked in the darkroom- high contrast, dodging and burning, etc. I miss the grain look of film and I never add grain to my digital images. I let the chips fall where they may and if I push the ISO really high and noise becomes apparent, I try to make it work for me.

I really shoot and process almost the same way I did when shooting film.

By the way, I would marry Kathy that same year. We are still together.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

In '77 I was shooting with a Minox III and Rollei 35, then later the Leica M4-2. Tri-X Pan looked more-or-less OK with 35 mm, but scary with the little Minox. So I got used to overshooting the film and shortening the development, and that combined with other controls turned out some memorable photos. But I switched to Ilford 200 ISO anyway, where I got a smoother look.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    I was about to say the same thing. Funny how even the clothing styles of today have come full circle!

• Like Like x 1
  11. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Such a great photo. Loved Tri-X, it was my favorite B&W for years until I switched to Ilford and Agfa.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the comments, Dale, Jay, and Don.

• Like Like x 1