Kathy

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Rick Waldroup, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Kathy - Miami Beach - Summer, 1977

The camera was a Nikon F2 with a 50mm 1.4 lens. The film was Tri-X.

p65016171-5.

• Like Like x 10
  2. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I love the look. I've shot more Tri-X than I want to remember. It was always my favorite B&W film.

3. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the comment. Yeah, I shot Tri X for years and years. Toward the end of my film days, I switched over to Fuji Neopan 400.

4. TraamisVOS

TraamisVOS SC Hall of Famer

Nov 29, 2010
    Melboune, Australia
    I like the timeless look of the photo. If you didn't tell me it was taken in 1977, I would've assumed it was taken yesterday.

• Like Like x 1
  5. stillshunter

stillshunter Super Moderator Emeritus

Nov 5, 2010
    Down Under
    Mark
    Love it! Something here digital just can't do.

6. Agreed

• Like Like x 2
  7. drd1135

drd1135 SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Lexington, Virginia
    Steve
    I think digital could get a very similar look but with all the filter options available styles have shifted. The high contrast B&W look is definitely popular, but this shot really shows the difference between grain and noise. I've never really tried any of the digital filters that produce the grain effect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks to all for the comments.

I waited quite a while before I transitioned to digital capture. Mostly because 99.9% of my personal work is in B&W and I could not get the look I wanted with digital. Eventually, software improved, my digital processing skills improved a bit, and I finally made the move. I process my digital B&W images pretty much the way I worked in the darkroom- high contrast, dodging and burning, etc. I miss the grain look of film and I never add grain to my digital images. I let the chips fall where they may and if I push the ISO really high and noise becomes apparent, I try to make it work for me.

I really shoot and process almost the same way I did when shooting film.

By the way, I would marry Kathy that same year. We are still together.

• Like Like x 3
  9. dalethorn

dalethorn Guest

In '77 I was shooting with a Minox III and Rollei 35, then later the Leica M4-2. Tri-X Pan looked more-or-less OK with 35 mm, but scary with the little Minox. So I got used to overshooting the film and shortening the development, and that combined with other controls turned out some memorable photos. But I switched to Ilford 200 ISO anyway, where I got a smoother look.

• Like Like x 1
  10. jloden

jloden SC Veteran

Jun 30, 2012
    Jay
    I was about to say the same thing. Funny how even the clothing styles of today have come full circle!

• Like Like x 1
  11. donlaw

donlaw SC All-Pro Subscribing Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Texas
    Don
    Such a great photo. Loved Tri-X, it was my favorite B&W for years until I switched to Ilford and Agfa.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup SC Regular

Apr 8, 2012
    Texas
    Thanks for the comments, Dale, Jay, and Don.

• Like Like x 1