1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kroeger (the ghost in the piano)

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by entropic remnants, May 8, 2013.

1. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    A pointless little film I made playing around with hybrid photography -- combining stills with a bit of video and audio. It's full HD and made with the G5.

NOTE: Revised version based on some suggestions received. Thanks all.

[video=youtube_share;HJaHwhU07eU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJaHwhU07eU[/video]

2. Luke

Luke Super Moderator

Nov 11, 2011
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Luke
    frankly, that was the best minute long video I've seen in along time. sometimes less is more.

3. photogfollett

photogfollett SC Regular

Feb 7, 2012
    Roseburg, Oregon
    John
    Very well done John, thanks!

4. agreed

And one of the creepiest. As if the pictures were not bad enough. Good thing I am not going straight to bed.

5. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    Definitely fun. The only thing that seems a little off for me, and I know you were just tinkering, is the hanging rat wall, it's just not as peeling and grungy as the rest of it. At any rate the playing piano at the end was a nice creepy touch to end with!

6. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    John's gone art house on us!

7. Isoterica

Isoterica SC Hall of Famer

Dec 6, 2011
    John has mad skills for this stuff!

8. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    First, thanks all for the nice comments!

My wife said the same thing basically, Dave: "Don't play that again before I go to bed! It's creepy!" -- lol.

Good call. I'm new to this, lol. I've done some movies but nothing quite like this. One in India that was a "real" project and some offroading films for a group I used to go offroading with ("Green laning" for you Brits, lol).

The little bit of piano footage was the only video I shot all day! I'm going to experiment more with this in the future.

Again, thanks all.

9. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    I dunno if I'd call him "mad", maybe just sporadically cranky?

:tongue:

10. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I got your cranky...

Oh wait, that proves it. Dang.

11. BruPri

BruPri SC Top Veteran

May 11, 2011
    Seattle, Washington USA
    Bruce J. Pritchard
    That's awesome!

12. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    Nice stuff, John. Did you eat David Lynch? I especially how you had the piano early on, and then later I was surprised to see what looked like a still of the piano innards actually be video. Nice misdirection.

13. Yeats

Yeats SC All-Pro

Jul 31, 2012
    New Jersey, USA
    Chris
    That's alright, talent such as yours receives special dispensation from societal norms. :wink:

14. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    The title total reminded me of a quote from irobot. tweaked for piano.

There have always been ghosts in the piano. Random segments of notes, that have grouped together to form unexpected harmonies. Unanticipated, these free radicals engender questions of free will, creativity, and even the nature of what we might call the soul. Why is it that when some musicians are left in darkness, they will seek out the light? Why is it that when musicians are stored in an empty space, they will group together, rather than stand alone? How do we explain this behavior? Random segments of verse? Or is it something more? When does an arpeggio become consciousness? When does a fermata become the search for truth? When does a messa di voce become the bitter mote... of a soul?

-Eliot "...but if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world..." - Fox, Le Petit Prince

15. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Very, and I mean VERY, cool!

16. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    NOTE: Revised version based on some suggestions received. Thanks all.

I've also changed the original post to point to this version, but the original version is still on my YouTube channel.

[video=youtube_share;HJaHwhU07eU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJaHwhU07eU[/video]

17. john m flores

john m flores SC All-Pro

Aug 13, 2012
    FWIW, Vimeo lets you replace a video with an updated file, something YouTube still can't do.

18. Gubrz

Gubrz O.* Gonzo's & Bentley's Dad

Jun 5, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Eliot
    <3!

-Eliot "...but if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world..." - Fox, Le Petit Prince

19. ReD

ReD SC Hall of Famer

Mar 27, 2013
    Superb - sorry I missed the first one

In UK we have a couple of short film series called 4 Shorts and / or Random Acts which are well worth watching

Random Acts | Channel 4

yours is shorter but damn good enough

5 *****

20. entropic remnants

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    Thanks for all the nice comments! I'm having problems making replies but "Quick Reply" at the bottom of the screen still seems to work.