Last Batches of Summer Ice Cream

480sparky

Regular
Name
Ken
A local dairy produces a real nice (albeit expensive) ice cream mix that just can't be beat. I had resigned myself to not seeing any until next summer as they don't usually produce it after early September.

But, to my astonishment, there were 4 containers in the cooler at the grocery store today when I went there. So naturally I snapped 'em up. They had an expiration date of Oct 16, so they were still good.

I doubt I'll see any more until next summer, so this afternoon I fired up the old, trusty rusty White Mountain freezer and dug out 4 ice cream buckets filled with ice and started to make.......... home made ice cream!

Ice%20Cream%201.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I usually do several batches at once, which saves a lot of things........... namely, having to clean everything up. I just pack the batch straight from the freezer to the deep freeze, and pour in the next batch.

Ice%20Cream%203.jpg

I also reuse the brine, which saves a ton of ice and salt. I just pour it into a food-grade bucket, refill the freezer, and pour the brine back in.

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....................

Ice%20Cream%202.jpg

It may be October, but there is still a dasher dripping with delight!

Ice%20Cream%204.jpg

As always, the last batch in gets a healthy serving of Carnation malt powder, Nestlé Quick and Hershey chocolate syrup.

Ice%20Cream%205.jpg

Pour it in, restart the freezer, and let it run for the final 4-5 minutes to mix it all up.

Ice%20Cream%206.jpg

This is to make chocolate malts with.

Ice%20Cream%207.jpg

Everything is all cleaned up and drying. All 4 gallons of the ice cream is in the freezer, just waiting to be made into a malt, or melt next to a slice of hot apple pie sprinkled with cinnamon powder!

Ice%20Cream%208.jpg

Jealous yet? View attachment 120698

Back