Layers & Graphic Tablets

ReD

Hall of Famer
Decided that I must investigate layers - never really got my head around them before which is surprising considering I used to use a ton of tracing paper in the past before computers
Using Corel Painter 2 Essentials to start off with & had a quick play today - not too bad & has potential once I understand cloning, brushes & the like

then decided I need more control for line drawing so loaded up my Old Wacom Intuous 3 Tablet (which I have never really used) only to find this doesn't work on Windows 7

Loaded it into the XP side of my Computer & it works OK - so it now means I need to transport images across if I want to play with this on image editing using the tablet & pen

Ho Hum

Any advice on Intuous 3 drivers for Windows 7 ?

Any advice on alternative cheap Graphics Tablets ? I Don't need anything too fancy

Mattia Huion are remarkable value Thanks
A fraction of the price of this old intuos 3 for what appears to be better & larger area (as well as up to date)

I've also had some success in new driver installation - but i read reports it plays up after shut down so I'll see later on

Luke - way over the top but thanks - efforts so far are discouraging - need more time on Corel for it to click.

I use an Intuos 2 tablet with Windows7. Just go to the Wacom site and enter your tablet in legacy drivers and download the latest and I think you will be ok.

One thing that I learned early is that the larger tablets, when they are mapped so that the upper left corner matches the upper left corner of the screen and likewise with the lower right require a lot of desk space and a lot of arm movement. For example, reaching up to the File menu requires a real reach versus a flick of the wrist and a small slide with a mouse.

With that in mind, I favor the smaller tablets that are mapped more like a mouse; if you reach the edge and need to move farther, just lift the stylus and reposition on the tablet. Just like a mouse.

I've got a small Wacom Bamboo Pen & Touch with a 3.5" x 5" active zone. It's one of their cheapest units. Like the name suggests, I can use it with a stylus or just my finger like a laptop touch pad. I've been using it instead of a mouse for close to ten years now. Very handy. If I need more precision in Photoshop of Lightroom, I simply zoom in. For masking and stuff, it's way more natural feeling and controllable than a mouse. Probably not as precise as a larger, more expensive tablet, but it gets the job done for me.

Yes John absolutely right - even with the Intuous 3 with 4x5 screen the movement is large - but the pen reaction of the Huion appears more responsive in the video I saw - perhaps it was more the program used rather than the pen

Now that my Intuous is working (even if on XP) I have no need to buy larger or another tablet

Back