Leaping Tiger

Discussion in 'Nature' started by olli, Dec 12, 2012.

1. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    From the Smithsonian Zoo yesterday (also posted in the Kitty thread). More info on my blog.

f2200704 by ...olli..., on Flickr​

• Like Like x 9
  2. bartjeej

bartjeej SC Hall of Famer

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    great energy in this shot! In a world filled with beautiful and impressive plants and animals, tigers are surely among the most beautiful and impressive!

• Like Like x 2
  3. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    Looking at the photo again, you can see how the shoulders / upper front legs are not a whole lot thinner than the animal's waist (if you disregard the loose skin on the belly)... hard to imagine how massively powerful these animals are!

• Like Like x 1
  4. olli

olli Super Moderator Emeritus

Sep 28, 2010
    Metro Manila
    olli
    Agree entirely. Beautiful, magnificent animals. There are usually two out in the big cats area at the zoo. One is a slimmer, sleeker animal and this one is notably more powerful and heavy set. I assume the smaller is the female and this one is the male.

5. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    Great action shot olli. Tigers are seriously endangered in the wild and I agree they are magnificent.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bartjeej

Nov 12, 2010
    bart
    ^ yeah, there're only 3000 to 4000 left... I think most people don't realise how close we are to a world without wild tigers, especially because they live in a highly fragmented range and often can't find (unrelated) partners to reproduce...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Great sense of movement and energy in this image.

• Like Like x 1