Leica 45mm Macro Elmarit

Discussion in 'Micro Four Thirds Forum' started by MichaelChiara, Nov 1, 2010.

1. MichaelChiara

MichaelChiara SC Regular S.C. Charter Member

Jul 9, 2010
    Brooklyn
    So I recently acquired the 45mm elmarit macro for my panasonic gf1 and I must say I'm pleased so far. Some sample images taken over the weekend with the family out for a walk.

The IQ is very nice, the focus speed is pretty fast although I have had a few times where the focus missed and it took a while to lock on target. This may be due to my inexperience with the lens. The weight of the lens is unbelievably light and a perfect match for the GF1. So far my few days with the lens has been very happy.

[​IMG]
    Hover Fly

[​IMG]
    Bee

[​IMG]
    Bee

[​IMG]
    Spotted cucumber beetle

• Like Like x 8
  2. BBW

BBW Administrator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Wow! Michael, I am stunned by the the astounding clarity and detail of these! Those first two in particular have me sitting here with my mouth hanging open! Your first is not only an amazing example of macro work, but also a beautiful image - the way you and this lens have worked out just the right depth of field...and the framing. It's a really lovely shot and perfectly composed.:bravo-009:

It would be great if you could tell us some more about this lens and why you chose it. I've just done a quick search on it and found it described via B&H Photo
    That description says a great deal, as does the Leica name but what made it be the lens to get for you?

3. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Actually, this is the native lens, not an adapted one. It's the Leica-designed Panasonic lens. I have one.

4. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Boy, that surely shows how ignorant I am! I didn't realize that Leica had designed this for the Panasonic micro four thirds cameras.:redface: So, does that mean it does offer the ability to auto focus or does one need to manually focus on a macro lens like this?

P.S. I've now edited my first post due to embarrassment and the wish for accuracy.:wink:

5. MichaelChiara

Jul 9, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Hi BB

Yes Deirdre is correct. Leica designed Panasonic lens, which can auto focus.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BillN

BillN SC Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 25, 2010
    S W France
    Bill
    although I believe that you lose IS when using it as a Macro - but most of the time you would use a tripod anyway for such shots so even if it was available you would turn it off

7. deirdre

deirdre SC Top Veteran

Sep 26, 2010
    Here's one of my shots with this lens (I bought mine used on mu-43.com :) )

[​IMG]

I also used it for my "dinosaur" shots yesterday, though they are simply for fun and don't really show off the lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Jul 3, 2010
    Michael, these are great! I especially like the second bee photo.

BB, not only does this lens AF, it has a focus limiter switch which allows it to focus much quicker than most AF macro lenses when using it for non-macro purposes. It really is a great lens, the sales of which are probably hampered a bit by early reviews showing it to be not quite as sharp as the Olympus ZD 50/2 macro. I was put off by those reviews (especially the DPReview test charts) myself, but I'm glad I gave it a try. It's one of those lenses that gets criticized by lots of folks who haven't used it but is well loved by just about everyone who has one.

• Like Like x 2
  10. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Thanks Amin. I can't get over the detail and quality of the images. Really lovely. I can't wait to see more, too.

11. Boyzo

Boyzo SC Veteran S.C. Charter Member

Jul 14, 2010
    These are great the 2nd is very lifelike
    You need GREAT patience with Bees (tried it)
    They always move when you press the shutter :rolleyes:

12. Boyzo

Jul 14, 2010
    Indeed Amin this lens for me is a Keeper

• Like Like x 1
  13. Boyzo

Jul 14, 2010
    Boy is that a Rose shot to die for :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  14. James Murphy

James Murphy SC Rookie

Oct 2, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wow! Wow!!! These could be the most impressive insect shots I've ever seen. And they were taken with a m4/3. Wow.

15. MichaelChiara

Jul 9, 2010
    Brooklyn
    Thank you boyzo and james. I really enjoy that the lens has IS, which makes a great portrait and landscape lens as well. All around it's a great performer.

• Like Like x 1
  16. bilzmale

bilzmale Super Moderator Emeritus S.C. Charter Member Subscribing Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Perth, Western Australia
    Bill Shinnick
    I sold my Oly 50mm f2 to buy this lens and don't regret it.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. BBW

Jul 7, 2010
    betwixt and between
    BB
    Bill, I didn't realize! Have you had it for a while - I think I have seen some other beautiful closeups but didn't realize which lens you were using. I think someone here needs to start a Leica 45 Macro Elmarit Image thread - right in here: Macro Image thread forum.:biggrin:

18. MichaelChiara

Jul 9, 2010
    Brooklyn
  19. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo! Subscribing Member

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    WOW! That lens is something else! It's the 'next lens for my GF1' lens as other image samples i have seen prove that it's a stunning lens.

20. M5-User

M5-User SC Rookie

Oct 23, 2010
    I want one !!!!!!

Lovely images
    I love macro lenses