Leica Leica CL Arrived

No, no pink. If it needed recovering I might do red or blue from cameraleather.com though!

I'm taking a black and white film class next term.

Wow! never thought I'd have privilege of seeing one of these; a camera I longed for many years ago, look for ward to seeing some photo's; if possible.
It does look bigger than I thought it was; but the new cameras are so much more compact these days (DSLR's being the exception)

Of course I'll post photos. Right now, I have Tri-X in it so I can do some meter tests. There is a battery and it does operate, but it seems to be off. I've been using my iPhone's light meter app.

Some of the mercury-replacement batteries are off by 1 or 2 stops, and I forgot to check what it had in there before putting film in.

So far, given film ISO (400) and f/stop (2.0):

For one shot, CL meter said 1/2 second; iPhone said 1/8.
For another set of shots, CL meter said 1/2 second; iPhone said 1/30 metered one way and 1/15 another.

I shot it all ways, took notes, and we'll see what actually turns out but I'm also not sure about the meter's assumptions given that I'm not using one of the two standard lenses but instead am using a 28mm Voigtlander.

Tomorrow I'll do some outdoor shots so I'm less likely to get blur.

I almost tried to change lenses with film in. Oh, how I do not miss lens changing bags! Except they are still useful for digital in dust or similar bad circumstances.

Oh, I could whine about the shots a lot: I was having a bad eye day and the shakes, couldn't find one piece of my tripod mount so I could use my longer, slower lens that was more appropriate, I didn't want to go outside and get better light because stairs are treacherous when I'm having a bad day. So that there's one bit that's in the focal plane (not perfect, but it is there), but I could have opened up the lens with more light or a tripod and gotten more in focus.

Also, I was holding my photo light with one hand and shooting with another, which is never that great for stability. (I keep my photo light under the couch. How sad is that?)

It's a rule I have that everything I get in the mail with a serial number gets photos taken the day it arrives, so that's what I have at the moment. (The actual serial number photos I took with an iPhone as it had autofocus and a flash.)

I'm feeling a bit better today, so going to go finish the roll in the CL for its meter tests, then drop it off for processing.

I didn't check the meter battery first. The meter is Doing Something, but I don't think the battery's in good shape.

I almost tried to change lenses with film in. Oh, how I do not miss lens changing bags! Except they are still useful for digital in dust or similar bad circumstances.

I believe the shutter is closed until fired so it must be safe to change lenses with film in. I change lenses on my Kiev rangefinder without even having a second thought about it.

Himself at our local dive bar (where there's always peanut shells all over the floor and people carve their name into the tables and booths -- and that's part of the charm of the place). As a point of local history, the Stanford family were noted Rosicrucians and teetotalers, and this bar was founded at a time when the Stanford campus was dry. While it's no longer the closest bar, it has a long history with Stanford students. For those of us who are not morning people and work late, one of their biggest virtues is serving food until 11 p.m. in an otherwise sleepy suburb. (Rick would like it known that he's not asleep, he's reading on his Nook.)

View attachment 33620

Back