1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica EVF3/Panasonic DMW-LVF2 viewfinder. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Panasonic/Leica Forum' started by jporos, May 31, 2013.

1. jporos

jporos SC Regular

May 8, 2013
    Mississippi
    I have a D-Lux 6 and have been wrestling in my head the necessity of purchasing the external viewfinder. Does anyone have the Panasonic/Leica viewfinder and how do they feel about it? I have read that the Panasonic works on the Leica so I will probably take that route because of 1) cost and 2) there is not a beautiful Leica leather case for the viewfinder as was created for the D-Lux 5. Thanks!

2. entropic remnants

entropic remnants SC All-Pro

Mar 3, 2013
    John Griggs
    I just got the LVF-2 for my LX7 and GX1 and I love it. It is just like my G5 viewfinder.

3. Biro

Biro SC All-Pro

Aug 7, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have the LVF-2 as well and also use it on both my GX1 and LX7. The resolution is about 1,440,000 dots, which is what most of Panasonic's G series cameras (G1-G5) have had. It's enough resolution for manual focusing, although the latest EVFs in cameras like the GH3 are even better. Still, I give the LVF-2 a thumbs up and can recomend it without hesitation.

4. jporos

jporos SC Regular

May 8, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thanks! Good to hear some recommendations. Any thoughts on a case/pouch for the viewfinder that attaches to the Leica case strap for the D-LUX 6? I am leaning toward buying a vintage Leica EVF case because there does not seem to be much out there in terms of EVF cases in general.

5. jporos

jporos SC Regular

May 8, 2013
    Mississippi
    Just got the DMW-LVF2...

D-LUX6wEVF_zpsf2e10174.

works perfectly with the D-LUX 6, very sharp image. Hope to have a nice case for it soon that works with the Leica case. Thanks for the advice! (by the way, it was painful to use an old Olympus E-510 to take this shot).

6. retow

retow SC All-Pro

Jul 24, 2010
    The Leica EVF 3 is a rebadged Panasonic LVF2 and priced at a massive premium.

7. deckitout

deckitout SC Regular

May 19, 2013
    I use a LVF2 on my GX1 and LX7, it is not attached all the time but carried to use when in bright light, it's a great addition