Leica Leica M-E | First Test Drive

Morning Iansky, I recently watched a 3 year old interview of Stephen Daniel by Luminance Landscape Mr. Reichmann and your thoughts and opinions on pricing were mentioned more than once. Mr. Daniels made it very clear that Leica was meeting and exceeding all their sales goals and didn't see a need to lower their price structure.

The question was also asked about some sort of student incentive for young photographers to enable them to enter the world of Leica but was also dismissed.

So these questions have been asked before and seems Leica for whatever reason doesn't feel a need to change what they're doing.

Iansky,

I will start by apologizing for my post and my use of the word "bashing". I know you have been a contributor to this forum since the beginning, and your posts are always constructive, not to mention the superb quality of your photography. You may find that my posts are mostly positive as well, and I really try not to post anything that may make any member uncomfortable. I really regret having made that post.

However, there is a general tendency with regard to posts about Leica (here and at other forums) where, no matter what the original post is about, someone will post about how Leicas are overpriced, underfeatured, poor performers at high ISO, reliant on past glories, and the post usually contains an implication that anybody who buys a Leica has more money than sense. Because of this, when I saw Duane's original post I thought to myself "let's see how long before the first negative post comes in." Although I realize it's based on your experience with your M8.2, your post did touch upon some of these points (except the one about having more money than sense.)

My reaction to your post was really more of a gut reaction and, had I thought about it for a few seconds, I would not have written it.

Again, I apologize to you and to Duane for sidetracking his thread.

Regards,

Antonio

I would love to see Leica produce an updated "M" that retains exisitng body style but like the special edition version they had out a year ago had electonic projected lines in the viewfinder rather than exisitng ones, a Sony sensor would also make sense rather than current obscure ones and a price point that makes it a more accessible product to all - I do not expect we will see an AF option and not sure that holds with the ethos of "M", built in dioptre control would be nice but that is me being selfish.

Hi ian,

I'm sure you're aware by now that all the items in your wishlist above are in the new Leica M (Type 240).
1. Same body and ergonomics.
2. LED projected lines, appears only one focal length at a time, no frame selector switch anymore.
3. Custom-made CMOS sensor with possibly high ISO capability like M Monochrom standards (clean up to 3200).
4. Currently, priced the same as previous M9 or M9-P.
5. No AF, but the ability to use any SLR lens due to LiveView and focus peaking features.

Time to return to the M world?

Back