1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Leica M goes to London's Borough Market

Discussion in 'Street and Documentary' started by Mixalis, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Mixalis

Mixalis SC Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    London
    Mike Evans
    An outing for my M and 35mm Summilux at London's ancient Borough Market earlier today. The market dates back to "at least" 1014 and is now the foremost food market in London, with the strong emphasis on gastronomic delights from around the world. See my full review at Macfilos Photo.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 17
  2. christilou

christilou SC Hall of Famer

Jul 13, 2010
    Sunny Frimley
    I like Borough Market. In fact I think I've photographed this same guy in your last picture in the Spanish shop ;) I just got an M too and took it to Ascot Races today. I only have the 50mm Summilux and found it too short for my needs. Managed to get a few keepers but I can't help feeling it was the wrong tool for the job today :(

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Bring Jack back!

Jan 11, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Jack
    Looks like the Borough's Market enjoyed Leica M's visit! Well done Mike. Lovely photos!! It's the "it" from that 35 Lux!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin SC Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    Markets are very popular here now, too. Nice, colourful set of images. Vibrant.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ajramirez

ajramirez SC All-Pro

Jul 9, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Antonio
    Time to start thinking about a 90mm, then. The 90mm 2.5 Summarit is quite nice for not so much money (in Leica terms).

• Like Like x 2
  6. colonel

colonel SC Regular

Apr 25, 2013
    London
    very nice. been there a few times but always people in the way of my pics. you did well

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mixalis

Mixalis SC Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    London
    Mike Evans
    I have revisited the scene with both 75mm APO-Summicron and 90mm APO-Summicron and I have to say I have more keepers with the 35mm. It's not that the longer lenses aren't sharp--the 75mm is one of my favourites--it's just that the angle of view doesn't seem to suit the close and busy market a much as a wider lens.

8. Ghosthunter

Ghosthunter boo!

Sep 8, 2010
    London UK
    Andy
    Nice set of images. I was there last week. Great place to visit and take the camera.

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/13920091315/player/" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/13920526814/player/" width="1024" height="683" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mixalis

Mixalis SC Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    London
    Mike Evans
    Nice series, Andy. Borough Market really is one of my favourites but there are so many nice welcoming markets in the East End. Sometimes, though, there are more photographers and tourists than serious shoppers.

10. colonel

colonel SC Regular

Apr 25, 2013
    London
    Hi there
    What other markets would you recommend in London ?
    Best Rgds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs SC Legend

Sep 21, 2010
    Not too far from Philly
    you should be able to figure it out...
    Sounds like Seattle's Pike Place Market. During the week it's a fully functioning market. Some of the best times of my life were when my wife and I lived a few blocks north of the market and I worked several blocks south, and I'd stop there nearly daily on my way home from work and grab some fish and veggies for dinner.

But on a weekend, all of the touristy vendors show up and the place is so over-run with tourists you can't even walk through the place, much less use it as a functional place to buy essentials. I haven't actually been back in a few years and it might be almost as bad during the week now, but when I was last there, the difference between weekdays and weekends was still pretty huge...

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mixalis

Mixalis SC Rookie

Oct 13, 2013
    London
    Mike Evans

Mike
    www.macfilos.com

13. Will

Will SC All-Pro

Aug 30, 2010
    England
    Spitalfields Market between Liverpool Street Station and Brick Lane is good.

• Like Like x 1
  14. colonel

colonel SC Regular

Apr 25, 2013
    London
    Thanks
    Done Camden a few times, spitalfields sounds interesting will check it out
    Not sure about mile end