Leica Showcase Leica M Image Thread

deirdre

I had the green smudge a couple of weeks ago - I was told not to worry as it only happens once in 10,000 shots, (it was about my 50th or maybe 100th shot with the camera)
You probably saw it on another forum - I'm quite proud of it as it's the best I've seen, (looking at all the other posted on the RF Forum!!!)

M8_green%20smudge_2.jpg

Now that is strange - so this green is an artifact? Or are you pulling our collective legs again, Bill?

These Leica cameras certainly do have their quirks. I am not going to derail this thread by asking for too many explanations, I promise.

Now that is strange - so this green is an artifact? Or are you pulling our collective legs again, Bill?

These Leica cameras certainly do have their quirks. I am not going to derail this thread by asking for too many explanations, I promise.

234399d1291764657-m8-green-smudge-picture-1-png

There was no car driving up the side of the building that I saw!!!!

They reckon that it is caused by a VERY bright light very near to the edge of the image, but not in the image, when you are taking the shot - as with all things Leica there are pages and pages of discussion on the "quirk"

My shot was a very simple test shot before I walked into the Shopping Mall - just checking the camera would switch on, (it's an M8), they were no bright lights about - it was a relatively dull day

Good talking point anyway

Yup... Infamous green smudge. It occurs when there is a bright light source right at the edge of the frame. It doesn't happen all the time. What's strange is that I've never seen a sample with an evenly bright sky usually with bright point sources like the sun. Personally, I've never seen this issue on my M8... then again, I had my sensor replaced early on. I am not sure if that had anything to do with it.

The M8 is indeed a quirky camera... in the right circumstances, it can really sing though...

Bill- what version of firmware are you operating with? I've read that this occurs when bright light gets into the "calibration" portion of the CCD. I've never had it happen, and I like to shoot into the sun at angles to test lenses.

tell you what - I'm impressed with the IQ on the M8

- taken today - Atlantic Coast - SW France

just getting used to it - cropped to a full 16 x 9 - which I now have a passion for - 16 x 9 just seems to go with the lens

OK I know it's ISO 160 @ f8

CROP from above

and another

lacanau3_com.jpg
Join to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BillN, what lens do you have on it.

I bet you would love C/V 12mm Heliar... (reminds me I should shoot more with it)

Yup.. the M8 can really do well... Kinda reminds me of the MF digitals which produce wonderful IQ but quickly hits limits as the ISO increases.

Hi usayit

I have the Zeiss ZM 28mm f2.8 Biogon - on the M8 effectively giving 35mm (36.4mm) - because of the 1.3 crop factor

I quite like to crop the sensor to 16 x 9 on a lot of these type of shots, to me that size helps to bring out "the lines" of certain shots

The good thing about Zeiss glass is that it is "affordable" new - I also have a CV 35mm f1.7 and a couple of M mount Elmars - but I need to get UV/IR filters if I intend to use them, plus a of Nikon LTM lens which I could try - but I am definately going to stick just to ONE lens, the 28mm for at least a few months

for the future and looking at my next lens purchase it will probably be a "mint" used 35mm Cron - pre ASPH (as I would think I will be nagging myself to move up to a M9 next year - but time will tell)

I bought the Zeiss as I intended to get the M8, (before considering the M9), and wanted an FOV of 35mm

My main "annoyance" these days with the MF RF cam i.e. the M8 - is my eyes - I now wear glasses, (variofocals) - which I did not during my M film days
I have just about solved the focusing problem (wide open) - in that I move back a little from the viewfinder and adjust my view to the part of my glasses that are suitable for the range that I am looking at - (if you understand what I mean) - the only problem that I then have is that I cannot see the frame lines - so I have to gusesstimate what will be in the frame, (which is no big deal as it's not too accurate anyway) - meaning that I am "cropping" a little more than I would like - but - I am not against cropping and as the IQ is that good I do not feel the quality suffers

Overall i am enjoying using the M8 and I did a few (unfair) comparisons with my D300 today and I was pleasantly surprised at the Leica digital image quality (unfair as I was using a 70 300mm Nikon zoom on the D300)

Just my ramblings

I too can ramble on and on and on...... don't mind it.. can be interesting

In regards to your eyeglasses, I recommend looking into the magnifiers from match technical. He makes an eye cup plus magnifier of sorts with a 0.85x magnification. This will essentially make it easier to see the frame lines for eye glass users. I've never used it BUT he has a very good reputation for quality work among the leica crowd. He's the maker of the thumbs up thing too....

http://matchtechnical.com/EyeCupMag.aspx

Deirde .............. (what lens did you use?) ............. looks like a Wikileak ............ I thought stuff like that would be "classified" in the US ............ would be here in France .......... I think they would "wheel you off somewhere" if you tried it ........ toute suite ...... pdq

The following is Jet propulsion Bordeaux style!

It was a kind of "I’m forced to blow the highlights" day - (my wife also went to the hairdressers!), - bright sun and shadow - in order to avoid under exposure, I am finding more and more that I am having to add "an EV stop" to the exposure on the M8 - (I need to get used to the way it meters?) - and "expose to the right" seems something that is desirable with the M8

M8 first shot……….. EP-1 second ……… the EP-1/PL 20mm f1.7 is good, no fuss - just does the job well - especially in "unskilled hands" - (mine)
Cycle_transport.jpg

EP-1

Aixam.jpg

I started with old cameras, graduated to these highly feature DSLRs (got a bit lax in thinking), and then moved on to the M8. Once I figured out that its still an "old school" camera with a digital personality, I started to revert to the old habits. Its like getting back on a bike after many years. If I were a professional photographer again, I might miss the high technology built into today's DSLRs but I much enjoy the basic simplicity when I shoot for enjoyment (contrasts my technology profession).

The M8 is strongly biased towards center weight metering.... just like the old days. Bright diffused skies just like snow covered ground, will fool it into bringing the exposure down. I'm sure there are dozens of ways to approach, but I generally try to figure out a "base" exposure and then work from there. Base exposure through either a handheld meter, sometimes assume sunny-16, or even simply meter something "medium". Usually, I'll meter something like the grass, palm of my hand, grey cement sidewalk.. etc. If its a darker or lighter object, add or subtract a stop from your base exposure.

Set the base exposure and leave it there.... If you combine this with hyperfocal focus, now you are doing what a lot of street photographers do for that quick shot. As you shoot, study the scene. Is the subject in the shadows? open up 1-2 stops, take the shot, and then return to base exposure. It takes practice but you get the hang of it. As the days goes on or as you move into new areas, take a new "base" exposure. Truthfully, I'm still rusty... but enjoying things that are easy to get started but difficult to completely master.

Sorry if I rambled a bit.... I just spent the last 8+ hours chatting to soul-less servers.

btw..

Diedre nice! I would love to get close to something like that....

BBW, I really dig that car.

btw... BBW, your two photos is a really good example between "preferences" chosen by different manufacturers. Leica and Canon (two systems I am very familiar with) avoid making any assumptions on the final intention of the photographer. As such, their RAW files are fairly flat and neutral..... They are intended to be "negatives" of sorts and they assumed all files will have undergone some sort of workflow to "process" them.

When I picked up my Olympus E-PL1, I was caught a bit off guard! Olympus files are in contrast very presentable as is.... as if to simplify the whole user experience. The files come out "pre-processed" like... with contrast, saturation, and even sharpness carefully applied. A very different but still rewarding experience from Olympus.

Of course... neither approach is better... both have its advantages and disadvantages.

(I'd love to contribute a photo... but yahoo/flickr is having slowness issues... grrr)

Aaha! Welcome back flickr...

I haven't had much time to shoot lately but I did manage to put together a holiday card for the friends and families that don't get to see my son much.

Leica M9 + Summilux 50mm @ f/1.4

5275822538_0d96314b5c_z.jpg

Totally legal shot on a decommissioned aircraft carrier (in 1-1/2 meters of water).
Lens was my 28mm f/1.9 Voigtlander Ultron, which is the lens usually on my Leica M8.

Hi deirdre - my comments were just "tongue in cheek" - I wasn't suggesting that you were doing anything illegal - I have an Ultron 35mm f1.7 that I used on my M6 and M43 cams
- I have always like the "look" that it gives and I am waiting for a UV/IR filter so that I can give it a whirl on the M8

usayit - exposure - yes that is what I am finding with the (very) "centre weighted" Leica. I suppose that I had got used to approaching the light situation through the exposure modes that (modern cams) - Nikon and Olympus have built into the system.
Back to film days, but not quite, as EV compensation has, more usefully replaced, shutter speed or aperture adjustment to cope with extremes in the lighting scene.
I have my grossen exposure meter and home made sunny 16 chart somewhere - maybe I should dig them out - but I think not
It is a pity that you cannot see a "real time" histogram as that would help - but with digital you can take a few shots cheaply, (as the pros always did with film), to "weigh up" the situation.

Overall I like the M8 and I can see it replacing my DSLR for most of the time, the IQ is just great and crops can satisfy certain short tele photo needs - I have a 28mm Zeiss and a 35mm Ultron plus a 5cm, (50mm) Elmar f2.8, (from my film days) - I am looking at buying a "more modern" 50mm - I do not want to go to the expense of a f1.4 and I think I would be happy with the f2.5 Summarit, and I find the Cron a little too large physically - anyway I will see once I have tried the Elmar, (I need a UV/IR filter for it as when I have used it the magenta cast blacks have seemed to have predominate).

All "good fun" this "back to Leica" days

Cheers

BillN,

Totally consider the 50mm Summarit f/2.5. Although I found traveling with the 35mm and 75mm Summarits far more often with the M8, the 50mm Summarit f/2.5 is equally just as nice. Compared to the Summicron 50mm, its smaller, lighter, shorter focus throw, less expensive, and has a tabbed focus ring. I can focus far faster with the Summarit than my Summilux. Its also one of the most flare resistant lenses in Leica's lineup... The Summarits are probably the most under appreciated line in Leica's history.... although they have been getting much attention and chatter recently (other forums).

If you would like, I can take some quick samples for you. Just let me know what type of samples would be best....

Cheers

samples - Thanks, that would be great

although your "royal flush" will beat my "pairs" - 9 v 8

I have a good used 50 Summarit "lined up" but I do not want to go ahead until after the Xmas mail - so I may loose it

Cheers

Back