Sony Leica M9-P To RX1

Zanydave

Hi, just joined the forum.
Been using Leica's for some time but became interested in the RX1. Very impressed. The image quality is stunning. So I sold the M9-P. Yes!... It is that good! The only thing I am missing is the more organic feel of shooting. Will I regret it?... Time will tell but at the moment I'm loving my RX1.

Zanydave,

I can feel where you are coming from. The Leica experience is what sets it apart. Specs alone, the RX1 would probably be on the advantage on almost all aspects. Good luck with the RX1, I for one is eyeing on this. Cheers!

Welcome Zanydave! I admire your work. I have an M9 and a 35cron that I've been shooting side by side with the RX1. Practically same results only easier with the Sony. My only misgiving is if I sell the Leica, I can get ok money for the body but the lens will no doubt hold it's value. Where the Sony has already begun devaluing. Also, where there is a great satisfaction derived from the rangefinder, It's much harder to manual focus for me but, it always focuses exactly where I want.

Photography is first of all a hobby, not an investment.
I have sold my Leica M9 and lenses and purchased the RX1 and I enjoy my decision.
I am interested in the incredible image quality that the RX1 offers, not in how fast the market value of my RX1 is dropping!
Harry

Welcome Zanydave! I admire your work. I have an M9 and a 35cron that I've been shooting side by side with the RX1. Practically same results only easier with the Sony. My only misgiving is if I sell the Leica, I can get ok money for the body but the lens will no doubt hold it's value. Where the Sony has already begun devaluing. Also, where there is a great satisfaction derived from the rangefinder, It's much harder to manual focus for me but, it always focuses exactly where I want.

One of the nice things about this forum are the open and friendly discussions that are usually helpful and informative, thank you for your insight in any event.

Photography being a hobby, not an investment is a phrase I've until now, only heard from camera store sales people. Photography is many things to many people, some of those may have a substantial investment in their gear with have an eye to resale/trade-in value.
I own both the Leica and the RX1, I'm keenly aware of their value at any given time as I unfortunately don't have unlimited funds and frugal, this does not diminish my enthusiasm or enjoyment of photography. So to conclude, too am interested in I/Q of my RX1... and what the current market is for it.

I'm curious.How many of you RX1 owners are shooting with the LCD only?

Depends, sometimes LCD only, sometimes with EVF. Or did you mean ONLY only, as in NEVER with the EVF? As in, don't even HAVE a viewfinder to use with it? It's a camera that seems to feel right up at the eye (whereas some smaller cameras don't, at least to me), so I'd generally use the EVF, but even when it's on, I'll do a lot of shooting with the LCD screen too.

-Ray

Curious too. Because I find the need to use an EVF, but at the same time might find it negating the overall compactness and "aerodynamics" factor to some extent. :D

I am curious too. I am thinking whether I would really need the EVF or not. I just sold my NEX 7 and two lenses (need to sell one more to complete the cash needed for RX1) Would a thumbs up work better to steady the shot in 1/30 situations, for example? (I am talking of ISO 3200 f2 slow shutter speed type of thing) I know that holding the cam against your eyebrow helps in steady things up and I did this a lot with the NEX 7. That being said, the leaf shutter takes away a lot of that shake (even if the NEX do have just a single shutter action, it was a bit shaky at times)

I am shooting the RX100 a lot these days and love it to bits. The slow shutter speeds I can do with it but I am thinking of the steadyshot feature helping me a lot rather than my own skills.

Final thought, I would tape the RX1 EVF like I have taped the 5n EVF because I can't hold the camera against my eyebrows solidly enough as the EVF starts to flip away so I would 'lock' it with black masking tape.

I use the EVF out of habit, I raise the camera to my eye instinctually, there are very few occasions I take it off, one is to fit it back in my bag, the other is a quick landscape shot.

I bought a used RX1 on a whim at a bargain price because the IQ was amazing and I wanted to check out the handling. It handled pretty well...a little smaller than I would have liked, but I got used to it. But I missed having an eye level finder. I bit the bullet and ordered the EVF. The first thing that disturbed me was how easily I was knocking the diopter slider around....I was constantly needing to refocus it. Then the dealbreaker was the fact that my nose was resting right on the rear control wheel. It was a little more than uncomfotable to adjust setting with the camera up to my eye.

I had to part ways with the camera. I miss the big sensor with the Zeiss lens, but I wasn't going to keep the EVF and I'm not sure I could get used to a camera without one. I'll continue to enjoy watching you all shoot and wait for the next entrant into the field of full frame mirrorless cameras. Maybe Fuji will bring one around.

...... The first thing that disturbed me was how easily I was knocking the diopter slider around....I was constantly needing to refocus it. Then the dealbreaker was the fact that my nose was resting right on the rear control wheel. It was a little more than uncomfotable to adjust setting with the camera up to my eye. ....

Your issues Luke were the reasons I moved away from the GXR and to a camera that does not have those handling issues. My nose is no longer smudging the back of my camera. And I could never get comfortable shooting with a camera with my arms stretched out in front of me to take a photo no matter the IQ.

I bought a used RX1 on a whim at a bargain price because the IQ was amazing and I wanted to check out the handling. It handled pretty well...a little smaller than I would have liked, but I got used to it. But I missed having an eye level finder. I bit the bullet and ordered the EVF. The first thing that disturbed me was how easily I was knocking the diopter slider around....I was constantly needing to refocus it. Then the dealbreaker was the fact that my nose was resting right on the rear control wheel. It was a little more than uncomfotable to adjust setting with the camera up to my eye.

I had to part ways with the camera. I miss the big sensor with the Zeiss lens, but I wasn't going to keep the EVF and I'm not sure I could get used to a camera without one. I'll continue to enjoy watching you all shoot and wait for the next entrant into the field of full frame mirrorless cameras. Maybe Fuji will bring one around.
I take it you're a left-eyed shooter? That could make things difficult, seemingly with lots of cameras.

Two things about the EVF design bug me. First, the diopter adjuster, as you said, is waaaay too easy to knock out if position. I stuck a little piece of electrical tape over mine and its kept it in place and its so invisible, I'd forgotten it was there until you mentioned it here. The other is that it doesn't lock in place, but I found a trick (I think Harry originally mentioned it) with a small rubber band in the track that holds it in place that works incredibly well. You can't see it and iIt creates enough extra friction that you have to WANT that thing to come off before it will. With that in place all the time, the camera sort of resembles an OMD with an awesome lens stuck on the front.

-Ray

yup....left eye shooter and my massive, beautiful Roman nose is scrunched right into the controls. The view IN the viewfinder was quite nice. Maybe their full frame mirrorless will have it on the left. I don't mind my nose all over the rear screen, but smothering the control wheels just won't do.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy the view through the finder on the X-Pro.

Back